Black Hole Gravity at a Distance

In summary, the question of whether black holes have infinite gravity is a common misconception. While they do have extremely strong gravity, it is not infinite and can be calculated using the standard gravitational equation.
Sothh
Here is something I have been wondering for a long time, and just not had time to post yet.

If a black hole has infinite gravity, and you plug infinity into the gravity equation, don't you get infinite gravity no matter the distance?

I know there is something I am missing, but I thought it was an interesting question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Black holes don't have infinite gravity. The gravity of a black hole at any given distance is no greater than that of any other object of equal mass at that same distance. For instance, if we were to replace the Sun with a black hole of equal mass, the orbit of the Earth would remain unaffected.

1. How does a black hole's gravity affect objects at a distance?

A black hole's gravity affects objects at a distance by pulling them towards the black hole with an incredibly strong force. This force of gravity is so powerful that it can even bend light and distort the fabric of space and time.

2. Can a black hole's gravity be felt from far away?

Yes, a black hole's gravity can be felt from far away. While objects closer to the black hole will experience a stronger pull, the gravitational influence of a black hole can extend for billions of miles.

3. How does the strength of a black hole's gravity change with distance?

The strength of a black hole's gravity decreases as the distance from the black hole increases. This follows the inverse square law, meaning that the force of gravity decreases by the square of the distance. So, as an object moves further away from a black hole, the pull of gravity becomes weaker.

4. What happens when an object gets too close to a black hole's gravity at a distance?

If an object gets too close to a black hole's gravity at a distance, it can be pulled into the black hole. This is known as the "point of no return" or the event horizon. Once an object crosses this point, it is impossible for it to escape the black hole's gravitational pull.

5. How does the gravity of a black hole compare to the gravity of other massive objects?

The gravity of a black hole is much stronger than the gravity of other massive objects, such as stars or planets. This is because a black hole is an extremely dense and compact object, with a tremendous amount of mass packed into a small space. This results in a very strong gravitational pull.