What is the Relationship Between the Image and Kernel of T and T^n?

In summary, the relationship between the image and kernel of T and the image and kernel of Tn is that for any natural number n, the kernel of T is a subset of the kernel of T^n, and the image of T^n is a subset of the image of T^(n-1). This can be easily proven using induction. Additionally, for any linear operator T on a vector space V, the image of T^n is a subset of the image of T^(n-1).
Chen
Hi,

What's the relationship between the image and kernel of T and the image and kernel of Tn? I think we saw in class something along the lines of:

[tex]Ker(T) \subseteq Ker(T^2)[/tex]
[tex]Im(T) \supseteq Im(T^2)[/tex]

My intuition is that this is also correct for any natural n, but is it true and if so how do you prove it, by induction?

Thanks,
Chen

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that T is a linear map from some vector space V to itself... [tex]\ker{T} \subseteq \ker{T^n}[/tex] (where n is any natural number) is easy to prove. It's obvious for n = 1.

Suppose it's true for n = k. If [itex]x \in \ker{T}[/itex], then [itex]x \in \ker{T^k}[/itex], by the induction hypothesis. But then [itex]T^{k+1}(x) = T(T^{k}(x)) = T(0) = 0[/itex] (by the linearity of T), so that [itex]x \in \ker{T^{k+1}}[/itex].

I think the thing about Im(T) could be done without induction.

Last edited:
Let me clear the cobwebs from out my skull...
Let T be a linear map from V to V'.

A_1=Ker(T)={v in V : Tv=0}.

A_2=Ker(T^2)={v in V : TTv=0}.

Note that T0=0 for all linear maps T. Here, the first 0 is in V and the second 0 is in V'.

Then A_1 is a subset of A_2 because:
v in A_1 implies
Tv=0 implies
TTv=T0=0
implies v in A_2.

I don't think you really need induction if you can get away with saying that (T^n)0=0. I suppose that technically you do need induction if it's not acceptable as being obvious: T0=0, so done when n=1. Then assuming (T^(n-1))0=0, we can apply T to both sides to get (T^n)0=T0=0. Done.

Then if you let A_n=Ker(T^n), go through the above proof to show that A_(n-1) is a subset of A_n (change 1 to n-1 and 2 to n).

Then you have the following result:
A_1 is a subset of A_2 is a subset of ... is a subset of A_n.

The image I'll work out if no one else does after I have a cigarrette...

Note that for a linear operator T on a vector space V, we have

[tex]Im(T^2) = T(T(V)) = T(Im(T))[/tex]

whereas [itex]Im(T) = T(V)[/itex]. Clearly, since [itex]Im(T) \subseteq V[/itex], [itex]T(Im(T)) \subseteq T(V)[/itex] follows immediately. For any n, we can compare [itex]Im(T^n)[/itex] with [itex]Im(T^{n+1})[/itex].

[tex]Im(T^{n+1}) = T^{n+1}(V) = T^n(T(V)) = T^n(Im(T))[/tex]

whereas [itex]Im(T^n) = T^n(V)[/itex]. Again, since [itex]Im(T) \subseteq V[/itex], it follows immediately that [itex]T^n(Im(T)) \subseteq T^n(V)[/itex], giving [itex]Im(T^{n+1}) \subseteq Im(T^n)[/itex]. This gives:

[tex]Im(T) \subseteq Im(T^2) \subseteq \dots \subseteq Im(T^n) \subseteq \dots[/tex]

which is what you wanted, I suppose.

Last edited:

1. What is the image of T^n?

The image of T^n is the set of all possible outputs that can be obtained by applying the transformation T^n to all elements in the domain.

2. How is the image of T^n related to the image of T?

The image of T^n is a subset of the image of T. This means that the image of T^n contains all the possible outputs of T, but may also include additional outputs that are only obtained by applying T^n.

3. What is the kernel of T^n?

The kernel of T^n is the set of all elements in the domain that are mapped to the zero vector by the transformation T^n.

4. How is the kernel of T^n related to the kernel of T?

The kernel of T^n is a subset of the kernel of T. This means that all elements in the kernel of T^n are also in the kernel of T, but there may be additional elements in the kernel of T that are not in the kernel of T^n.

5. Can the image and kernel of T^n be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the image and kernel of T^n to be empty. This would occur if the transformation T^n maps all elements in the domain to the zero vector, resulting in an empty image and a full kernel.