Understanding Linear Independence: Proving Non-Zero Status of One-Element Sets

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation discusses the condition for a one-element set to be linearly independent in a vector space. It is stated that a one-element set is linearly independent if it is non-zero, and to prove this, it must be shown that any linear combination of the one element results in all coefficients being zero. The conversation also touches on the definitions of linear combination and linear dependency, highlighting the difference between the two.
EvLer
Hi all,
when is a one-element set is linearly independent? Just when it's non-zero?
I am not sure how to prove this on one element set.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
(Assuming you speak of a vector space)

You're right on the condition. To prove it, you need to show that if any linear combination of your one element is zero, then all the coefficients are zero.

Hurkyl said:
To prove it, you need to show that if any linear combination of your one element is zero, then all the coefficients are zero.
Ok, is that what you mean?
S = {A},
Code:
A = 3 3 3
    3 3 3
A = cA?
I do not know how to create a linear combination on one element, it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe because I started Linear Algebra course two days ago.

Thanks.

Last edited:
A linear combination of one element is just some scalar multiple of it. What is your definition of linear combination? Can't you apply it to a one element set? And what is A, it looks like an array? It is a simple exercise that if v is a non-zero vector, and tv=0 for some t in the underlying field then t=0. Which is what they're asking you to prove.

I think I got confused linear combination and linear dependency. Now, I see the difference. Thank you for the explanations.

What is linear independence?

Linear independence is a concept in linear algebra that refers to a set of vectors where none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others. In other words, the vectors are not redundant and each one adds unique information to the set.

What is linear dependence?

Linear dependence is the opposite of linear independence. It refers to a set of vectors where at least one vector can be written as a linear combination of the others. This means that some of the vectors in the set are redundant and do not add any new information.

How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can use the method of Gaussian elimination. This involves creating an augmented matrix with the vectors as columns and performing row operations to reduce the matrix to row echelon form. If there are no free variables in the resulting matrix, the vectors are linearly independent. Alternatively, you can also check if the determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors is non-zero.

What is the geometric interpretation of linear independence?

Geometrically, linear independence means that the vectors in a set span a unique subspace of the vector space. This subspace can be thought of as a plane, line, or point, depending on the dimensionality of the vectors. If the vectors are linearly dependent, they lie on the same line or plane, and if they are linearly independent, they span a higher-dimensional space.

Why is linear independence important in science?

Linear independence is important in science because it allows us to understand and analyze complex systems by breaking them down into simpler components. In fields such as physics and engineering, linear independence is used to determine the stability and predictability of systems. It also plays a crucial role in data analysis and machine learning, where linearly independent features are necessary for accurate and efficient modeling.