Linearize this system

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of linearization of a system of differential equations in order to determine the eigenvalues and characteristics of the system. This involves using the Jacobian matrix evaluated at an equilibrium point, obtained by taking partial derivatives of the given equations. The steps for obtaining the solution are outlined as: forming the Jacobian matrix, evaluating it at an equilibrium point, determining the eigenvalues, and interpreting the linearized system solutions based on these eigenvalues.
stunner5000pt
For this system of differential equations

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = x(0.8 -\frac{0.8x}{3129} - \frac{y}{x+1000}) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = y(-0.5 + \frac{x}{1000+x})[/tex]
for all [tex] x,y \geq 0 [/tex]
now the equilibrium points are
(x,y) = (0,0), (1000,1088), (3129,0)

i need to linearize this system such taht i can figure out the eigenvalues of this system and figure out whether this system is a spiral sink, source or whatever

if i use x = u -1000 and y = v-1088
i get answers like this
[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = (1.054u +2.55*10^{-4} u^2 -v) \frac{u+1000}{u+2000} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{0.5uv - 544u}{2000 + u} [/tex]
but hte denominator throws things off, doesn't it??
but if i just accept it like it is and assumethat as u,v approach zero the non linear terms get insignificant (ya you not proper math language)
and the matrix becomes
[tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}0.527&-0.5\\0.272&0\end{array}\right) [/tex]
is this right so far?? Any help would be appreciated, greatly!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
For this system of differential equations

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = x(0.8 -\frac{0.8x}{3129} - \frac{y}{x+1000}) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = y(-0.5 + \frac{x}{1000+x})[/tex]
for all [tex] x,y \geq 0 [/tex]
now the equilibrium points are
(x,y) = (0,0), (1000,1088), (3129,0)

i need to linearize this system such taht i can figure out the eigenvalues of this system and figure out whether this system is a spiral sink, source or whatever

if i use x = u -1000 and y = v-1088
i get answers like this
[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = (1.054u +2.55*10^{-4} u^2 -v) \frac{u+1000}{u+2000} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{0.5uv - 544u}{2000 + u} [/tex]
but hte denominator throws things off, doesn't it??
but if i just accept it like it is and assumethat as u,v approach zero the non linear terms get insignificant (ya you not proper math language)
and the matrix becomes
[tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}0.527&-0.5\\0.272&0\end{array}\right) [/tex]
is this right so far?? Any help would be appreciated, greatly!
The following briefly reviews key features of diff-eq Linearization technique. Steps 1 - 4 at bottom of review section provide guidance for OP to obtain problem solution.

Remember, linearization is the process of APPROXIMATING the original non-linear diff-eq system with a "Linearized System" about an Equilibrium Point (x0,y0). Thus, let the original non-linear system be given below (assuming no explicit function of "t" on the RHS):

[tex]
\left (
\begin{array}{c}
(dx/dt) \\
(dy/dt)
\end{array} \right )
=
\left (
\begin{array}{c}
f(x,y) \\
g(x,y)
\end{array} \right )
[/tex]

Then the Linearized System will utilize the Jacobian matrix (in red below) evaluated at an Equilibrium Point (x0,y0):

[tex]
\left (
\begin{array}{c}
(dx/dt) \\
(dy/dt)
\end{array} \right )
=
\color{red} \left (
\begin{array}{c c}
f_{x}(x_{0},y_{0}) & f_{y}(x_{0},y_{0}) \\
g_{x}(x_{0},y_{0}) & g_{y}(x_{0},y_{0})
\end{array} \right ) \color{black} \cdot
\left (
\begin{array}{c}
(x - x_{0}) \\
(y - y_{0})
\end{array} \right )
[/tex]

By evaluating the Jacobian Eigenvalues, the Linearized System solutions and their characteristics (sink, spiral, etc.) can then be determined. Hence, the first objective is determining the Jacobian from appropriate Partials:

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = f(x,y) = x(0.8 -\frac{0.8x}{3129} - \frac{y}{x+1000}) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = g(x,y) = y(-0.5 + \frac{x}{1000+x})[/tex]

Taking Partials of the above f(x,y) and g(x,y), we get:
fx(x,y) = (0.8) - (1.6)*x/(3129) - (y)*(1000)/{(x + 1000)^2}
fy(x,y) = (-x)/(x + 1000)
gx(x,y) = (y)*(1000)/{(x + 1000)^2}
gy(x,y) = (-0.5) + (x)/(x + 1000)

The steps are now the following:
1) Form Jacobian matrix with above Partials.
2) Evaluate Jacobian at an Equilibrium Point (x0,y0). ::: <---(by def: f(x0,y0) = g(x0,y0) = 0)
3) Determine Eigenvalues for the evaluated Jacobian.
4) Determine and interpret Linearized System Solutions from Eigenvalues.

~~

Last edited:

Yes, you are on the right track. To linearize this system, we can use the Taylor series expansion around the equilibrium point. In this case, we have three equilibrium points, so we need to linearize the system at each of these points separately.

For the first equilibrium point (0,0), we have x=u and y=v, so the linearized system becomes:

\frac{du}{dt} = 0.8u - \frac{0.8u^2}{3129} - \frac{v}{1000}
\frac{dv}{dt} = -0.5v + \frac{u}{1000}

To simplify this, we can assume that the non-linear terms (u^2 and uv) are small when u and v are close to zero, and thus can be neglected. This gives us the linearized system:

\frac{du}{dt} = 0.8u - \frac{v}{1000}

We can now write this in matrix form as:

\left(\begin{array}{cc}0.8&-\frac{1}{1000}\\ \frac{1}{1000}&-0.5\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{c}u\\v\end{array}\right)

This matrix has eigenvalues (0.85, -0.65), indicating that the equilibrium point (0,0) is a saddle point.

Similarly, for the second equilibrium point (1000,1088), we have x=u+1000 and y=v+1088, and the linearized system becomes:

\frac{du}{dt} = -u - \frac{0.8u^2}{3129} - \frac{v}{1000}

Again, we can assume that the non-linear terms are small and neglect them, giving us the linearized system:

\frac{du}{dt} = -u - \frac{v}{1000}

In matrix form, this becomes:

\left(\begin{array}{cc}-1&-\

What does it mean to linearize a system?

Linearizing a system means to approximate a nonlinear system with a linear one, making it easier to analyze and solve.

Why is it important to linearize a system?

Linearization allows for the use of well-developed mathematical techniques to analyze and understand the behavior of a system. It also simplifies the process of designing control systems for the system.

How do you linearize a system?

To linearize a system, you must first identify the nonlinearities in the system and then use mathematical techniques, such as Taylor series expansion, to approximate the nonlinearities as linear functions.

What are the limitations of linearizing a system?

Linearization is only an approximation and can introduce errors, especially for highly nonlinear systems. It also only applies to a small region around a specific operating point, so it may not accurately represent the behavior of the system for large changes in input or state variables.

Can all systems be linearized?

No, not all systems can be linearized. Linearization is only applicable to systems that exhibit a certain degree of smoothness and have well-defined input and output relationships. Additionally, some systems may have highly nonlinear behavior that cannot be accurately approximated by a linear model.