What is the Spring Constant and Angular Frequency of a Car's Suspension?

In summary, a car weighing 1200 kg with four 82 kg passengers travels over a bumpy dirt road with corrugations 4.0 m apart. The car bounces with maximum amplitude at a speed of 15 km/h. After stopping and the passengers getting out, the car body will rise on its suspension due to the decrease in weight. To find the spring constant, the angular frequency must first be calculated using the speed and distance between bumps. This can then be used to determine the spring constant using principles of simple harmonic motion.
RIT_Rich
Ok, here is the problem:

A 1200 kg car carrying four 82 kg people travels over a rough "washboard" dirt road with corrugations 4.0 m apart which causes the car to bounce on its spring suspension. The car bounces with maximum amplitude when its speed is 15 km/h. The car now stops, and the four people get out. By how much does the car body rise on its suspension owing to this decrease in weight?
--------
I know I'm supposed to find the spring constant of the suspension here and first I need to find the angular frequency...but how do I go about finding the angular frequency?

If anyone can help as soon as possible...thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ω = 2Πf

(f you can get from the speed and the space between the bumps.)

Does that help?

How do you get f from the speed and the bumps?

I must have a really bad book...but it tells me that to get the frequency I need the angular frequency.

My book says f= w/2pi...which gives you w right back.

Thanks for the help

ω is the angular frequency (i.e. radians per second)

f is the linear frequency: cycles per second, bumps per second, bumps per minute, bumps per hour...

You have kilometers per hour and bumps per meter...

Got it?

Then, use
ω = 2Πf
to get the angular frequency.

Then use what you know about simple harmonic motion to get the spring constant.

Thanks a lot.

1. How does a spring suspension on a car work?

A spring suspension on a car is a system of springs and shock absorbers that work together to absorb and dampen the impact of bumps and uneven surfaces on the road. The springs are designed to compress and expand as the car moves, while the shock absorbers help to control the movement and prevent the car from bouncing excessively.

2. What are the benefits of a spring suspension on a car?

The main benefit of a spring suspension on a car is that it provides a smoother and more comfortable ride for passengers. It also helps to improve the handling and stability of the car on the road, making it easier to control and maneuver.

3. How often should the springs on a car's suspension be replaced?

The lifespan of the springs on a car's suspension can vary depending on the make and model of the car, as well as the driving conditions and maintenance. In general, it is recommended to have the springs inspected every 50,000 miles and replaced if they show signs of wear or damage.

4. Can a spring suspension be adjusted to improve the performance of a car?

Yes, a spring suspension can be adjusted to change the height and stiffness of the springs. This can improve the handling and performance of the car, but it is important to consult a professional mechanic to ensure the adjustments are done correctly and safely.

5. What are some common signs of a faulty spring suspension on a car?

Some common signs of a faulty spring suspension on a car include a bumpy or rough ride, uneven tire wear, and difficulty controlling the car on the road. If you notice any of these issues, it is important to have your suspension checked by a mechanic to determine if any repairs or replacements are needed.