Solve Questions on y=x^2 ln x and f(x) = xe^x

• Thread starter bengalibabu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about two calculus-based questions and the hints provided by one person to help the other person solve them. The first question involves finding the equation of a tangent line and the second involves finding the minimum value and point of inflection for a given function. The hints include using the derivative to find the slope and critical points, and then checking the second derivative to determine if they are minima, maxima, or points of inflection.
bengalibabu
hey guys...i just had 2 questions that i really needed help with, i have no clue how to even start these question, any help would be greatly appreciated, thx

Question 1
Find the equation of the tangent line to the curve y = x^2 ln x at the point (1,0).
the answer should be in the form y = mx + b

Question 2
For the functions f(x) = xe^x
1. The minimum value of the function occurs when x = _____.
2. A point of inflection occurs when x = ______.

thx again

bengalibabu

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm did u do differential calculus?? ill give u some broad hints...firstly both questions are not log based they are calculus based.

Question 1
To uniquely determine any line, we need 2 things, slope and a point thru which it passes. the second condition is already given to us (1,0). To get slope, think abt the geometric implication of the derivative of a function?

ill tell u the hint to question 2 when u tell me ... have u done maxima and minima in calculus yet?

For 1 you differentiate the given function and evaluate the result at (1,0). This will give you the slope of the line, and since you have the point (x,f(x)) you now have a point and a slope and so you can find the line.

For 2 set the derivative equal to zero to find critical points. Then plug in values around each critical point to tell whether it is a minimum, maximum or point of inflection.

For the first question, you can obtain m (the slope) at (1,0) throught the first derivative of the given function. After you find the slope with the form y = mx +b, you can find b.

For the second question, find the critical points (possible max and min), and check them with the 2nd derivative for max or min. Solve for x in the 2nd derivative for the point of inflexion.

bengalibabu said:
hey guys...i just had 2 questions that i really needed help with, i have no clue how to even start these question, any help would be greatly appreciated, thx

Question 1
Find the equation of the tangent line to the curve y = x^2 ln x at the point (1,0).
the answer should be in the form y = mx + b

Question 2
For the functions f(x) = xe^x
1. The minimum value of the function occurs when x = _____.
2. A point of inflection occurs when x = ______.

thx again

bengalibabu
The others pretty much covered it. For 1, find the derivative and evaluate for x=1. You need the product rule to find the derivative. x=1 turns out to be a very easy place to evalutate the derivative at.

At the second, you set the derivative to zero and solve for x. A little tougher, but, if you think about it, there's obviously only one value for x that would give you zero for an answer. Even if you don't notice right off the bat, you can move one term to the other side:

[tex]e^x+xe^x=0[/tex]
[tex]e^x=-xe^x[/tex]

Cancel out like terms and the answer gets a whole lot more obvious.

1. What is the domain of the function y=x^2 ln x?

The domain of the function y=x^2 ln x is all positive real numbers greater than 0, since ln x is undefined for non-positive numbers and x^2 is defined for all real numbers.

2. How do you find the derivative of the function f(x) = xe^x?

To find the derivative of f(x) = xe^x, we use the product rule and the chain rule. The derivative is given by f'(x) = e^x + xe^x.

3. What is the range of the function y=x^2 ln x?

The range of the function y=x^2 ln x is all real numbers, since x^2 can take on any real value and ln x approaches negative infinity as x approaches 0.

4. How do you determine the points of intersection for the functions y=x^2 ln x and f(x) = xe^x?

To find the points of intersection, we set the two functions equal to each other and solve for x using algebraic manipulation or a graphing calculator. These points of intersection will be the solutions to the equation x^2 ln x = xe^x.

5. Can the functions y=x^2 ln x and f(x) = xe^x be graphed on the same coordinate plane?

Yes, the functions y=x^2 ln x and f(x) = xe^x can be graphed on the same coordinate plane. Both functions are continuous and defined for all real numbers, so their graphs will intersect at various points.