Equine and canine parental test kit

• Thread starter Dr. Nick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, my best friend is a vet and he is thinking about offering a service of parental testing for dogs and horses. He is unsure of whether it is something that would be useful for his customers and is looking for advice on where he can buy kits like this.
Dr. Nick
My best friend is a vet and we wanted to see how would service of parental testing for dogs and horses be interesting for his customers.

So, I tried finding kits for parental testing for these animals, but I’m stuck in dead end. I can’t find any, all I’m finding are companies already offering this service. I was thinking about kits with specific PCR primers, used for amplification of spec regions, Taq, etc. like one used for human identification. Or maybe there are some better now on the market.

Please help if you know where I can buy kits like this.

Biology news on Phys.org
Most likely, the companies offering the services own the licenses and are making enough money providing the service already. Besides, the time it would take to process and the technical skill and equipment required doesn't make it seem feasible as something to do in a vet's office anyway. These companies have automated, high throughput systems that allow them to process a lot of samples in a short time, but it won't take much less time to process a single sample than to process 20 samples.

In addition, in the equine industry (perhaps also true for show dogs, but I don't know), tracking parentage is already a big deal, at least for pure bred horses, but all the evidence is provided at the time of the mating regarding parentage, including videotapes of the mating to prove which two horses were mated. The breeders are probably already sending samples off to these companies in order to provide proof to their customers that they have provided them with the foal they promised. I don't think anyone would go to their local vet to confirm something so important, and when you're paying $20,000 or $40,000 or more in stud fees, the cost of paternity testing is not going to phase those people, and they're going to want it done by an expert who can testify in court if there is a problem.

If your friend is thinking this will in some way be useful for finding the father of the litter of puppies someone's dog just had, it won't be unless they have a suspect for comparison anyway.

The best approach would probably be to just provide the service of collecting the samples to send off to one these companies that does the testing if there are clients really interested in this.

Thank you for your interest in parental testing for dogs and horses. As a veterinarian, I can see how this service would be beneficial for my customers. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any kits specifically designed for equine and canine parental testing. However, there are companies that offer this service and have the necessary expertise and resources to accurately perform the tests. These companies likely have their own specialized kits and methods for conducting the testing. I would recommend reaching out to them directly to inquire about their services and pricing. Additionally, you could also consult with other veterinarians or experts in the field to see if they have any recommendations or insights on the best kits or methods for this type of testing. Thank you for your interest and I hope you are able to find a suitable solution for your needs.

1. What is a parental test kit for equine and canine?

A parental test kit for equine and canine is a genetic test that can determine the parentage of a horse or dog. It works by comparing the genetic markers of the offspring with those of the potential parents to determine if there is a biological relationship.

2. How does the test work?

The test works by analyzing DNA samples from the offspring and potential parents. These samples can be collected through a simple cheek swab or blood sample. The genetic markers in the samples are then compared and analyzed to determine if the potential parents are the biological parents of the offspring.

3. Why would I need to use a parental test kit?

There are various reasons why someone might need to use a parental test kit for equine and canine. For example, breeders may use it to verify the parentage of their animals for registration purposes. It can also be used to determine the genetic health of the offspring and identify potential genetic diseases.

4. Can the test be used for any breed of horse or dog?

Yes, the parental test kit can be used for any breed of horse or dog. The test relies on comparing genetic markers, which are present in all animals regardless of their breed. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the test may vary depending on the breed and genetic diversity of the population.

5. How accurate is the parental test kit?

The accuracy of the parental test kit can vary depending on the quality of the DNA samples and the genetic diversity of the population. However, most tests have an accuracy rate of 99% or higher when using high-quality samples. It is important to follow the instructions carefully and collect samples properly to ensure the most accurate results.