My Own Gravity: Can I Become Twice as Big as the Earth?

In summary, if you become twice as big as the Earth, you will have your own gravity and be able to pull objects towards you.
Caesar_Rahil
Suppose, I become twice as big as the earth. Then Can I have my own Gravity!

Physics news on Phys.org
yes. u do even now.

Last edited:
That's pretty damn big. You're going to have to eat a lot of ice cream. (That's what Vin Diesel *forgive the spelling of his name* did to gain poundage fora movie).

As Gurkha pointed out, you already have your own gravity. You exert just as much pull on the Earth as it exerts on you.

If you went into space, you might carefully put some little speck of something into orbit around you and could thereby have your own moon.

Gravity is only a theory.

Using the logic of Intelligent Design, how do you know it even exists?

Caesar_Rahil said:
Not by yourself. It takes two to gravitate towards each other.

How strong is your force of gravity? About this strong:

[tex]F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}[/tex]
where F is the force of gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, one of the m's is your mass, the other m is some other mass, and the r is the distance between the two of you.

Notice that being smaller in mass than the Earth might make your own force of gravity smaller, but it's always greater than zero. Notice, also, that being further away might make the force of gravity smaller, but the force of gravity will always be greater than zero.

Every star you see in the sky is pulling on you at least a little bit. You're affected by everything in the universe - even the things so far away you can't see them.

Likewise, you are pulling on every star and every planet that exists in the universe. Your presence in the universe affects every other single thing in the universe.

Or, as Emerson, Lake, and Palmer said, "It is perfectly clear... you were meant to be here ... from the beginning." (I like that song :smile: )

Skyhunter said:
Gravity is only a theory.

Using the logic of Intelligent Design, how do you know it even exists?
Tee hee. (At least, I presume you jest.)

Edit: just stumbled across http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4133&n=2 [Broken], probably the seed for Skyhunter's comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
Not by yourself. It takes two to gravitate towards each other.
Whether or not there is any other object, he still has a gravitational force. If he has mass, he has gravity.

zoobyshoe said:
If you went into space, you might carefully put some little speck of something into orbit around you and could thereby have your own moon.

Challenge: What size object, at what distance, orbiting at what speed could be a moon for a 50kg person (assuming a spherical person)?

Would Caesar have gravity if he was the only mass in the universe? :biggrin:

assume a point Caesar here.

BobG said:
You're affected by everything in the universe - even the things so far away you can't see them.
Gravity is not non-local; it moves at the speed of light, so if something's light hasn't reached you yet, neither have the effects of its gravity.

DaveC426913 said:

Edit: just stumbled across http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4133&n=2 [Broken], probably the seed for Skyhunter's comment.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: No it wasn't but it is hilarious.

DaveC426913 said:

:rofl: That's priceless.

Caesar_Rahil said:

Only if you are good...

That means all I have to do is get that big

1. Can someone actually become twice as big as the Earth?

While it is possible for objects to have their own gravity, it is not possible for a person to become twice as big as the Earth. This would require a tremendous amount of mass and energy, which is not achievable for a human being.

2. What determines an object's gravity?

An object's gravity is determined by its mass and distance from other objects. The larger the mass, the stronger the gravitational pull. As an object gets closer to another object, the gravitational force increases.

3. Is there a limit to how big an object can be?

Theoretically, there is no limit to how big an object can be. However, there are practical limitations due to physical laws and the amount of mass and energy required to sustain such a large size.

4. Can increased gravity have negative effects on an object?

Yes, increased gravity can have negative effects on an object. For example, if an object becomes too large and its gravity increases significantly, it may collapse under its own weight. This is known as gravitational collapse. On a smaller scale, increased gravity can also cause health problems for humans, such as bone and muscle loss.

5. Can we control our own gravity?

No, as humans, we do not have the ability to control our own gravity. Gravity is a natural force that is determined by mass and distance. We can only control our own body mass and how we interact with objects around us, but we cannot control the gravitational pull of the Earth or other objects.