Trouble calculating the equilibrium of this object

• Thread starter kjthesandman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the conversation is about finding the center of gravity of a carpenter's square and the equation to use for solving it. Instead of using cross products, it is suggested to break up the shape into two rectangles and sum the moment areas about each axis separately. The equation used is ((m1)(x1)+(m2)(x2))/(m1+m2) and the values for x1, x2, y1, and y2 can be found by calculating the perpendicular distances from the centroids of each area to the origin.
kjthesandman
I was having trouble calculating the equilibrium of this object. I thought I had to solve it using the scalar cross product...but I'm not certain I am on the right track. Can some one help me? This is the question.

A carpenter's square has the shape of an L, where d1 = 19.0 cm, d2 = 6.00 cm, d3 = 6.00 cm, d4 = 11.0 cm. Locate its center of gravity. (Hint: Take (x, y) = (0, 0) at the intersection of d1 and d4)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sort of, actually d3 is connected to d1, and d1 is the longer side of the carpenter square. The picture looks more like this...

p12-07alt.gif

Attachments

• p12-07alt.gif
    p12-07alt.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Rather than using cross products, break up the shape into 2 rectangles, and sum moment areas about each axis separately , where the moment of an area is the area times the perpendicular distance from its centroid to the axis, and where
(A1)x1 + A2(x2) = (A1 + A2)(X_), etc., (which you are familiar with?).

Well I was using the equation ((m1)(x1)+(m2)(x2))/(m1+m2)= but i keep getting the wrong answer...using this method how do i find y1, y2, and x1, x2. I know it seems like a real fundamental question but I am still having trouble.

kjthesandman said:
Well I was using the equation ((m1)(x1)+(m2)(x2))/(m1+m2)= but i keep getting the wrong answer...using this method how do i find y1, y2, and x1, x2. I know it seems like a real fundamental question but I am still having trouble.
x1, x2, y1, and y2, are the perpendicular distances from the centroids of each area to the origin. For example, one of the rectangles is 19 by 6. For that particular rectangle, since its centroid is at its geometric center, then x1 is 3 and y1 is 9.5. Now find the centroid of the second rectangle, and the corresponding x2 and y2 distances. Be sure to use A1 and A2 for what you are calling m1 and m2.

1. How do you calculate the equilibrium of an object?

The equilibrium of an object can be calculated by setting up and solving equations based on the forces acting on the object. This includes considering the weight of the object, as well as any external forces such as tension or friction.

2. What is meant by equilibrium in physics?

In physics, equilibrium refers to a state where all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net acceleration. This means the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

3. Can the equilibrium of an object change?

Yes, the equilibrium of an object can change if the forces acting on it change. If a new force is introduced or an existing force changes in magnitude or direction, the object's equilibrium will also change.

4. What happens if an object is not in equilibrium?

If an object is not in equilibrium, it will experience a net force and will either accelerate or decelerate. This can result in the object moving or changing its direction of motion.

5. What are some common methods for calculating equilibrium?

Some common methods for calculating equilibrium include the graphical method, where the forces are represented by vectors on a diagram, and the algebraic method, where equations are set up and solved to find the unknown forces. Other methods include the free-body diagram method and the trigonometric method.