Rate of change in distance question

In summary, a guinea pig is running around and tricking people, and this has been happening for a while.
Dr Zoidburg
Okay, I'm 99% sure I've got the right answer here, but I just wanted to make certain before I send my assignment in. It's the last question and has been bugging me for the last few days until I had an eureka moment just a few minutes back.
(In case you're wondering, I'm doing my studies by correspondence, so other than course notes and textbooks borrowed from the library I have just the internet and my brains (hah!) to aid me)

Homework Statement

A baseball diamond has sides 27m long. A player is running from 2nd to 3rd at a speed of 9m/s. When he is 6m away from 3rd, at what rate is the player's distance from home plate changing at that instant?

The Attempt at a Solution

x = distance from home plate to 3rd = 27m
y = distance from player to 3rd = 6m
z = distance from player to home = 27.66m (using pythagoras)
speed of player is change of y over time: dy/dt = 9m/s

[tex]z^{2}[/tex] - [tex]y^{2}[/tex]= [tex]x^{2}[/tex]
differentiate with respect to time:
d/dz[tex]z^{2}[/tex] - d/dy[tex]y^{2}[/tex]= 0 (since x doesn't change over time)

dz/dt*2z - dy/dt*2y = 0
divide by 2:
z*dz/dt - y*dy/dt = 0
sub the above (z, y, dy/dt) into the equation and solve:
dz/dt = 1.95m/s

If this ain't correct, please tell me quickly as I need to post my assignment off asap!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dr Zoidburg! :smile:

Yes, that's fine (but a little messy)! :smile:

Try shortening it a bit.

For example, there's no need to define an x (I know it's useful for helping you get to your eureka moment, but once you're there, you can forget it) … just say z² = y² + 729 (or z = √(y² + 729)). :smile:

And
Dr Zoidburg said:
d/dz[tex]z^{2}[/tex] - d/dy[tex]y^{2}[/tex]= 0
doesn't make sense, does it? :rolleyes:

yay, got it right! Off to the post office I scurry.

And that other bit just came out poorly due to bad formating. It looks better in my assignment :wink:

Dr Zoidburg said:
yay, got it right! Off to the post office I scurry.

:smile: I thought Dr Zoidburg scuttled ? :smile:

whoops. you're right there. scuttled. whoop! whoop! whoop!

"Friends, help! A guinea pig tricked me!"

I just did a google search for "A guinea pig tricked me",

:biggrin: and got 5370 hits! :biggrin:

What is the definition of rate of change in distance?

The rate of change in distance is a measure of how the distance between two objects changes over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in distance by the change in time.

How is rate of change in distance related to speed?

Rate of change in distance is directly related to speed. It is a measure of how quickly an object is moving, or its speed, over a given period of time.

What are some real-life examples of rate of change in distance?

Some examples of rate of change in distance include a car traveling a certain distance in a given amount of time, a runner completing a race, or a plane flying from one city to another.

How is rate of change in distance calculated?

Rate of change in distance is calculated by dividing the change in distance by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: rate of change = (final distance - initial distance) / (final time - initial time).

What units are used to measure rate of change in distance?

Rate of change in distance is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as miles per hour or kilometers per second. The specific units used will depend on the context and the distance being measured.