Why can't I edit my original post in my threads?

• Thread starter deezer
  • Start date
In summary, the reason why you can't edit your original post in your threads is because people have abused this ability in the past. They would delete their original post after getting help, either to prevent classmates from seeing it or to hide the fact that they were cheating. This is why there is a limit of 700 minutes to edit any post before it gets locked. It is recommended to proofread your post immediately after posting to avoid any mistakes.
deezer
Why can't I edit my original post in my threads? Sometimes I make a mistake or something and it's really annoying to post below because then people don't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You only have 700 minutes to edit any post. After that it is locked.

deezer said:
Why can't I edit my original post in my threads?

Because people have abused this ability in the past.

jtbell said:
Because people have abused this ability in the past.
How can people abuse it? Because I usually post questions and have to wait 1 day or so for a reply. Sometimes I type the question wrong and then it gets confusing for people reading the thread later.

deezer said:
How can people abuse it? Because I usually post questions and have to wait 1 day or so for a reply. Sometimes I type the question wrong and then it gets confusing for people reading the thread later.

We sometimes have students who post a question, get help, and then go back and delete their original post (OP) with the question to hide it. We take a *very* dim view of such behavior.

I'd recommend just being sure to proofread your post right after you have posted it. I make corrections to my posts all the time during that proofread step.

deezer said:
How can people abuse it?

For example, by deleting the entire post after getting their answer, leaving only an empty shell; either to prevent classmates from finding the question and taking advantage of the answer, or to hide the fact that the question was from an exam and they were cheating on it.

[berkeman slipped in while I was typing this]

1. Why can't I find the edit button on my original post?

The edit button is only available for a limited amount of time after you have created your original post. Once that time has passed, the edit button will no longer be visible.

2. Can I edit my original post after someone has replied to it?

No, once someone has replied to your original post, the edit button will no longer be available. This is to ensure the integrity of the conversation and prevent any confusion for other readers.

3. How long do I have to edit my original post?

The time frame for editing your original post varies depending on the forum or platform you are using. It is best to check the guidelines or FAQ section for more information on this.

4. Is there a way to edit my original post after the time limit has passed?

In some cases, there may be an option to request an edit from a moderator or administrator. However, this is not always available and the decision to allow an edit is at their discretion.

5. Can I edit my original post on a different device or browser?

Yes, as long as you are logged into the same account, you should be able to edit your original post on any device or browser. However, the time limit for editing still applies.