Which software is the best for 3D drawing?

In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for the best software for 3D drawing of piping. The budget, definition of "best," and capabilities of different software packages were also mentioned. Inventor and Solidworks were suggested as good options for piping, while Solidworks and Catia were mentioned as expensive but effective options. Additionally, Google Sketch-Up was suggested as a free alternative with a "follow" utility for piping. A list of free 3D design programs was also provided.
Ng Soon Hao
Anyone can recommend me which software is the best for 3D drawing for piping?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ng Soon Hao said:
Anyone can recommend me which software is the best for 3D drawing for piping?

What is your budget? Look at http://www.procad.com/

Last edited:
You'll have to define "best," and what you consider "3D drawing" while you're at it... As Greg mentioned, prices and capabilities of different software packages vary wildly.

for 3d modeling of pipe I would recommend Inventor that last time i used it, it had the ability to do piping pretty easily. I am a personal fan of solidworks, it can do piping pretty easily with a simple sweep. like stated above it is all about your budget

solid works is good if you know how to use it. that's what i know, although i haven't tried any others.

Google sketch-up is free and has a "follow" utility that you could use to run pipe. If you can afford something better, I would go with most anything else though. Piping is easy in solid works and Catia but both cost several thousand dollars unless you are a student in which case they cost a hundred or so dollars for a year long license.

Here is a great list of free 3d design programs that you could use.

MS paint.

1. What are the top software options for 3D drawing?

The top software options for 3D drawing include AutoCAD, SketchUp, Blender, Maya, and SolidWorks.

2. How do I choose the best software for my needs?

Choosing the best software for 3D drawing depends on your specific needs and preferences. Consider factors such as budget, level of experience, and the type of projects you will be working on.

3. Is there a free software option for 3D drawing?

Yes, there are several free software options for 3D drawing, such as Blender, SketchUp Free, and TinkerCAD. However, these may have limited features compared to paid software.

4. Which software is best for beginners?

For beginners, software with a user-friendly interface and tutorials, such as SketchUp and TinkerCAD, may be the best options. These programs also offer a free version for practice and learning.

5. Can I use multiple software for 3D drawing?

Yes, it is common for professionals to use multiple software for 3D drawing, depending on the specific features and tools needed for a project. Some software also allows for compatibility and importing/exporting of files from other programs.