Help Strange problem with scientific calculator.

In summary, a user is experiencing a strange problem with their scientific calculator while trying to solve a chemical equilibrium problem. The calculator is not able to show values greater than 99 or less than -99 in the power, resulting in an "arithmetic underflow" error. The user is seeking advice on how to solve this issue before their exam on Tuesday.
sunny79
Help!Strange problem with scientific calculator.

I was doing chemical equilibrium problems where one of the steps required me to square the reciprocal.

Which was (1/4.2x10^52)^2

The correct answer for this is 5.7 x 10^-106 but my Casio FX 115 ES calculator keeps showing zero.

Can anyone please shed some insight on this. It would be greatly appreciated. I have used this calculator in the past with success. I never encountered such a problem before. I have my exam on Tuesday. BTW no graphing calculators are allowed. If this doesnot workout then I will have to purchase another scientific calculator.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
sunny79 said:
Which was (1/4.2x10^52)^2

The correct answer for this is 5.7 x 10^-106

Welcome to PF :smile:
The calculator can't show a value greater than 99 or less than -99 in the power.(The maximum value available is 9*10^99 and minimum is (9*10^(-99))
(I have a Casio fx-100MS)

It is called an "arithmetic underflow".

Note that

[tex]\left(\frac 1 {4.2 \times 10^{52}}\right)^2 = \left(\frac 1 {4.2}\right)^2 \left(\frac 1 {10^{52}}\right)^2 = 0.057 \times \frac 1 {10^{104}} = 0.057 \times 10^{-104}[/tex]

10-104 part can be done in memory faster than it takes to key numbers into calculator - you just need to understand what is going on and how to deal with such a situation.

Thanks guys, that helped a lot. :)

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about the strange problem you are experiencing with your scientific calculator. It is understandable that you are concerned, especially with an exam coming up. I can suggest a few possible reasons for this issue and some solutions that you can try.

Firstly, it is possible that there is a malfunction in your calculator. This could be due to a technical issue or a problem with the internal programming. In this case, you may need to get your calculator checked or replaced.

Another possibility is that you may be using the calculator incorrectly. Scientific calculators can be complex and have many functions, so it is important to make sure you are entering the equation correctly. For example, in your case, if you are not using parentheses correctly, it can result in a wrong answer. I would recommend double-checking your inputs and making sure you are following the correct order of operations.

Additionally, it is important to check if your calculator is set to the correct mode. Some scientific calculators have different modes for different types of calculations, such as degrees or radians for trigonometric functions. Make sure you are using the correct mode for your specific problem.

If none of these solutions work, you may need to consider purchasing a new scientific calculator. It is always a good idea to have a backup calculator for important exams, and you can also try borrowing one from a friend or classmate.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue with your calculator. Remember to remain calm and focused, and don't hesitate to seek help from your teacher or classmates if needed. Good luck on your exam!

What could be causing my scientific calculator to have a strange problem?

There could be several reasons for this issue, such as a low battery, incorrect settings, or a malfunctioning component. It is best to troubleshoot the problem by checking the battery, resetting the settings, or contacting the manufacturer for assistance.

Why is my scientific calculator displaying incorrect calculations?

This could be due to incorrect input of numbers or operators, a malfunctioning component, or a software error. Make sure you are entering the numbers and operators correctly, and try resetting the calculator. If the problem persists, contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

How can I reset my scientific calculator?

The process for resetting a scientific calculator may vary depending on the model. Generally, you can reset it by pressing the "ON" button or removing the battery for a few seconds. Refer to the user manual or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions.

Can I fix my scientific calculator if it is malfunctioning?

It depends on the extent of the problem. If it is a minor issue, such as a drained battery or incorrect settings, you may be able to fix it yourself. However, if it is a hardware or software issue, it is best to contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Do I need to calibrate my scientific calculator?

Most scientific calculators do not require calibration, as they are pre-programmed with accurate calculations. However, if you suspect that your calculator is displaying incorrect results, you can refer to the user manual for calibration instructions or contact the manufacturer for assistance.