Register to reply

Charmonium and its decays

by Ichimaru
Tags: charmonium, decays
Share this thread:
Ichimaru
Apr14-14, 03:45 AM
P: 9
I'm looking at charmonium and its decays. Given a list of data on the charmonium states I'm asked to say why ψ'' has a leptonic branching ratio a thousand times small than ψ' and J/ψ.

From my understanding this is due to OZI suppression. But I'm having a hard time understanding it intuitively. Why can't any charmonium state annihilate via the strong force to another quark antiquark pair? What is the decay available to the ψ'' that isn't available to ψ' and J/ψ?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
New non-metallic metamaterial enables team to 'compress' and contain light
kjhskj75
Apr14-14, 06:24 AM
P: 10
Isn't it just that the heavier ##\psi(3770)## is heavy enough it can decay rapidly into D mesons that carry away the charm, the lighter ones can't.

See http://pdg8.lbl.gov/rpp2013v2/pdgLiv...tion?node=M053
Einj
Apr14-14, 07:20 AM
P: 321
Yes, the right answer is that one. The ψ'' is the first charmonium above the open charm threshold and therefore it's much more convenient for it to decay into two D mesons, basically just splitting the two pre-existing charm quarks.

Register to reply