How Does Free Fall Affect Pepe and Babette's Midair Catch?

In summary, Pepe, the clown, catches Babette, the tightrope walker, in midair after she falls from a height of 15.0 meters. The clown's initial velocity is 15.0 meters per second and his final velocity is 9.81 meters per second.
Kandy
Pepe, the clown, is jumping on a trampoline as Babette, the tightrope walker, above him suddenly loses her balance and falls off the tightrope straight toward Pepe. Pepe has just started upward at 15.0 m/s when Babette begins to fall. Pepe catches her in midair after 10.0s. a) How far has Babette fallen when she is caught by Pepe? b)What is Babette's velocity at the time of contact? c) What is Pepe's velocity at the time of contact? d) How far above the trampoline was Babette before she fell?
a) d= -491m
b) I used v final^2=v initial^2 + 2ad, but the answer key uses v final=v initial +ad. Why doesn't v final and v initial have squares? The answer comes out to be the same as mine except mine is missing the negative, so I'm supposing the ans key is right, but i don't understand how vf^2 andvi^2 can change into vf and vi without the other parts of the equations being square rooted. :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked you answers, but v final=v initial +ad is wrong. It should be v final=v initial +at, where t is the time duration of the fall.
If you check the units of the bad eqn, ad has units of m²/s² although vi and vf both have units of m/s

Here is the derivation of your eqns of motion.

Let u be the initial velocity, v be the final velocity, a be the constant acceleration and s be the distance travelled.
If a body starts at an initial speed of u and has a constant acceleration of a, then its speed increases by a for every second that passes. This gives you a basic eqn of motion,

v = u + at
========
or
(v-u) = at

If a body has an initial speed of u and a final speed of v, then its average speed is given by,

vav = (v+u)/2

distance traveled is then,

s = vav.t
s = (1/2)(v+u).t
=============
or
(v+u) = 2s/t

From the two re-arranged eqns,we get

(v-u)(v+u) = at.2s/t
v² - u² = 2as
or
v² = u² + 2as
===========

vav = (v+u)/2
vav = (u + at+u)/2
vav = u + (1/2)at

but

s = vav.t
s = (u + (1/2)at).t
s = ut + (1/2)at²
============

ok, so I see now, it is +at, not ad, so it makes sense now:
b) vf=-98.1m/s

and for c), i think this should be correct:
vf=at+vi
vf=(-9.81m/s^2)(10.0s)+15.0m/s
vf=-83.1m/s

but for d), I'm having a bit of trouble:
the formula d=vit+(1/2)at^2 should be used, i expected that Babette's vi was 0 because she fell, but for the ans key, it says vi is 15.0m/s, isn't that supposed to be Pepe's vi though? would it just be an error in the ans key, or am i missing smthg?

For d) you want to know how far the clown traveled up (from the trampoline) , not how much the tightrope walker fell. Also, don't forget the (-) in the equation (travelling up).

for d), isn't it asking how far above the trampoline was Babette before she fell, and Babette is the one falling, so what does this question have to do with Pepe jumoing on the trampoline?

You know how far babette fell from the tight-rope, when she was caught by pepe. Now you have to find how high pepe got to when he caught babette, then add the two distances together to find out how high the tight-rope is.

thanks, I thinki got it now

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is a type of motion where an object moves downward under the sole influence of gravity. This means that the only force acting on the object is the force of gravity.

2. What is the acceleration of an object in free fall?

The acceleration of an object in free fall is always equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth. This means that the object's velocity increases by 9.8 meters per second every second it falls.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its free fall?

The mass of an object does not affect its free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate due to gravity. This is known as the principle of equivalence.

4. What is the difference between free fall and air resistance?

Free fall is a type of motion where an object falls under the influence of gravity, while air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. In free fall, there is no air resistance, but in reality, most objects experience some form of air resistance when falling.

5. How can the time of free fall be calculated?

The time of free fall can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the initial height of the object in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared. This equation assumes no air resistance and a constant gravitational acceleration.