Making Money from the American Obesity Boom

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Obesity
In summary, the conversation discusses the rise of obesity in the United States and how companies are capitalizing on this trend by creating products to help those who struggle with mobility due to their weight. It also mentions the potential decrease in life expectancy as the baby boomer generation ages and the impact of health advice on obesity rates. The conversation ends with a discussion about a product called the "foot funnel" and how it relates to the larger issue of unhealthy eating habits in America.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Oh yes, I want a "foot funnel" :bugeye: Americans are out of control. I can't believe how many people in this office are doublewides.

Jan. 6, 2006 — While doctors and other health experts are wringing their hands over the rise in obesity in the United States, another group of professionals is gleefully capitalizing on the growth in plus-size Americans.

"Amplestuff now sells a wide range of products like the FootFunnel, to help those with difficulty putting on their shoes, a leg-lifting strap to help people get in and out of vehicles, and portable chairs that can support up to 600 pounds."

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Atio/story?id=1474542

Physics news on Phys.org
Very worrisome, especially for children who are already obese.

I have heard recently that average life expectancy (longevity) should start to decrease as the the baby boomer generation reaches their 60's, which starts this year. The reduced life expectancy may not happen for another decade until the majority pass beyond 60. I am sure many will try to extend longevity with medicines and pharmaceuticals.

I saw/read somewhere, that (the uk at least) has peeked and the obesity levels will start to decline, after the general public has been bombarded with health advice

Anttech said:
I saw/read somewhere, that (the uk at least) has peeked and the obesity levels will start to decline, after the general public has been bombarded with health advice
The Amercian public has been bombarded with health advice, they just listen to it while eating their biggie size triple heifer burger and mound of fries.

Hmm... First help someone to get obese. If they are content with it, help them to stay obese comfortably. But if they aren't happy, help them to get thinner -- all at a reasonable price, of course. Overall, it's a win-win-win business strategy. Now we understand how the American economy can be so resilient. :smile:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/amplestuff.safeshopper.com/images/t0b2ow4.jpgI[/URL] had to see what a foot funnel was.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread reminds me of Jamie Oliver, a rather intelligent and courageous chap here in England attempting to revolutionise the system in which kids eat at school. His famous phrase "learning what to eat starts at school" appears to be true. Permitting kids to purchase double cheese burgers at McDonalds will literally allow them to adopt vices (and I emphasize this word) that will influence them what and how to eat for the rest of their lives.

hypatia said:
I had to see what a foot funnel was.
In my day, we called it a shoehorn. Sure, it's got bells and whistles, but it's still a shoehorn.

1. How can the American obesity boom be monetized?

The American obesity boom can be monetized in a few different ways. One way is through the sale of weight loss products and services, such as diet plans, exercise programs, and supplements. Another way is through the sale of healthy food options, such as low-calorie or low-fat versions of popular snacks and meals. Additionally, the healthcare industry can also profit from the obesity boom through the treatment of weight-related illnesses and surgeries.

2. What impact does the American obesity boom have on the economy?

The American obesity boom has a significant impact on the economy. It leads to increased healthcare costs, as obesity is linked to various health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, and certain types of cancer. It also affects productivity in the workforce, as individuals with obesity may have more sick days and lower job performance. On the other hand, certain industries, such as the weight loss and food industries, may see an increase in profits due to the demand for products and services related to weight management.

3. Is the American obesity boom a sustainable source of income?

It is difficult to say whether the American obesity boom is a sustainable source of income. While it has been a growing issue for decades, there is also a growing awareness and effort towards promoting healthier lifestyles and preventing obesity. This could potentially lead to a decline in the obesity rate and a decrease in profits for industries that rely on it. However, as long as there is a demand for weight loss and healthy living products and services, there will likely still be a market for them.

4. What are some ethical concerns surrounding making money from the American obesity boom?

There are several ethical concerns surrounding making money from the American obesity boom. One concern is that some companies may use deceptive or harmful marketing tactics to sell their products, taking advantage of vulnerable individuals struggling with their weight. Another concern is the potential exploitation of people's insecurities and societal pressures to conform to certain body standards. Additionally, there is the issue of perpetuating a cycle of weight loss and weight gain, rather than promoting sustainable and healthy lifestyle choices.

5. How can society address the issue of making money from the American obesity boom?

Society can address the issue of making money from the American obesity boom by promoting education and awareness about healthy living and weight management. This includes teaching individuals about proper nutrition and the importance of physical activity. It also involves addressing and challenging societal beauty standards and promoting body positivity. Additionally, regulating and monitoring the marketing and advertising of weight loss products and services can help prevent unethical practices and protect consumers. Overall, promoting a culture of health and wellness rather than profit and appearance can help address the issue.

Back