Number of Kuiper Belt Objects Discovered - Find the Answer Here

• Thread starter big man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Belt
In summary: The Kuiper belt is thought to be full of small objects, so the number of KBOs detected is probably quite high.
big man
I was just wondering how many known kuiper belt objects are there??
I've been searching the net, but I can't find a reliable source that can give me a definitive answer. I know that the estimated number of KBOs that are larger than 100km is 100 000, but I can't find the known number of all KBOs detected so far.

Do you know of any reliable sources?

I guess I don't particularly need it, but I would like this information for my introduction on possible kuiper belt occultations for my project.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hmm. Last I heard, over 500 KBOs have been found, but I'd have to dig around for an updated reference.

Kuiper belt objects are so distant and small they are extremely difficult to detect. Their collective mass is relatively low, given the absence of any significant gravitational effects on the orbits of the outer planets, but a truly enormous number of them are suspected to exist.

Thanks for that. I will keep looking around to see if I can find it.

Chronos said:
Kuiper belt objects are so distant and small they are extremely difficult to detect. Their collective mass is relatively low, given the absence of any significant gravitational effects on the orbits of the outer planets, but a truly enormous number of them are suspected to exist.

If there were a truly enormous number of Kuiper belt objects wouldn't the gravitational effects on the outer planets get canceled out? They would effectively enclose the solar system. I've seen many analogous situations for the electric field from a charged spherical shell conductor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a definitive count is going to be hard to come by. That stat you quoted had a size specification, and any number you find is likely to be presented in the same way. After all, the Belt is full of dust and ice crystals and the like, so the answer may well depend on how you define "object".

1. How many Kuiper Belt Objects have been discovered so far?

As of 2021, over 3,000 Kuiper Belt Objects have been discovered by scientists.

2. How are Kuiper Belt Objects discovered?

Kuiper Belt Objects are typically discovered using large telescopes on Earth or in space. They are often detected by observing their reflected sunlight.

3. What is the purpose of discovering Kuiper Belt Objects?

Discovering Kuiper Belt Objects allows scientists to better understand the formation and evolution of the solar system. These objects can also provide valuable information about the outer regions of our solar system.

4. Are all Kuiper Belt Objects the same size?

No, Kuiper Belt Objects vary in size from small rocks to dwarf planets. The largest Kuiper Belt Object, Eris, is about 1,450 miles (2,300 kilometers) in diameter.

5. How do Kuiper Belt Objects differ from comets and asteroids?

Kuiper Belt Objects are similar to comets and asteroids in that they are small, rocky or icy bodies orbiting the sun. However, Kuiper Belt Objects have more elongated and tilted orbits compared to comets and asteroids, which tend to have more circular and flat orbits.