How can I solve this problem with valves and sealed tanks?

• Thread starter ksle82
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving transferring water from an upper tank to a lower tank. There is a pump and valves involved, and the question is how to transfer the water with both tanks sealed off. Suggestions include turning on the pump, building a siphon, and opening the valves. Ultimately, it is determined that the solution is simply to open the valves and punch holes in the tank tops.
ksle82

Attachments

• tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 670
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem just asks how to transfer the water, right?
Frankly "turn on the pump" is jumping up and down and waving at me...
Is there a part b? Like, complete part a, and find some value?

mbrmbrg said:
The problem just asks how to transfer the water, right?
Frankly "turn on the pump" is jumping up and down and waving at me...
Is there a part b? Like, complete part a, and find some value?
:rolleyes: It is the wisest thing to do.

Or build a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphon" . :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do either of those things? The problem is to transfer water from the upper tank to the lower. I would assume that the pump would be there to go the other way. Answer- open the valves!

:rofl: :rofl:
I guess it's a perfectly valid question if two out of three PF members got it wrong!

1] If the pump were turned on, the valves would still be closed.
2] We don't know which way the pump pumps.

Answer - as HoI points out: open the valves!

[EDIT]
Hm. It does specifically say both tanks are sealed. Without backflow of air, it would take a very long time to transfer.
Turning the pump on would speed the process.

Last edited:
Ummm...so just open the valves huh? Mother#%#@$@! Why do i tend to complicate things? %^$@$$#@#(&%

Open the valves and punch holes in both tank tops.

1. What is a trick question?

A trick question is a question that is designed to be confusing or misleading, often with the intention of causing the person being asked to give an incorrect answer.

2. How can I recognize a trick question?

Trick questions usually contain some form of deception, such as double negatives, irrelevant information, or a play on words. They may also be intentionally vague or use ambiguous language.

3. Why do people ask trick questions?

People may ask trick questions for a variety of reasons, such as to test someone's critical thinking skills, to see how they react under pressure, or simply for entertainment purposes. In some cases, trick questions may also be used to uncover someone's true thoughts or beliefs.

4. How can I answer a trick question correctly?

The best way to answer a trick question is to carefully read and analyze the question before responding. Pay attention to any key words or phrases that may indicate a trick, and take your time to think before answering. It's also okay to ask for clarification or to admit if you don't know the answer.

5. Is it bad to ask a trick question?

It ultimately depends on the intention behind the question and how it is asked. If a trick question is used in a playful or harmless manner, it may be seen as a fun challenge. However, if a trick question is used to deceive or manipulate someone, it can be considered unethical and disrespectful.