What are some tips for finding geodesics on a surface in R^3?

• Thread starter Feles Cestriana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary: So, on a 2-dimensional surface in R^3, all geodesics will have second derivatives normal to the surface.
Feles Cestriana
The Great Circle et al...

It is certainly intuitively clear that the geodesics on the sphere are the great circles. But, showing that seems to be a bit tricky...

I tried working out the Christoffel symbols, and then plugging that into the differential equations for the geodesics, and aside from it being a bit of a mess, I'm up against a bit of a wall with the system.

Now, perhaps I just need to grind it a little more, and it will all fall out, but, I can't help but wonder if there is a better way to "show" what the geodesics of a surface are.

I've had the same issue with the cylinder...

Any tips, to just point me in the right direction, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks,

-FC

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't it be easier to just show that great circles satisfy the geodesic equation?

- Warren

Hmmm. Yes, I suppose it might be. Thank you. I will try that.

But I think I will have to make some geometric arguments to show that those are all the geodesics.

Thanks for the tip. Is this the typical method of attack for these sorts of problems?

Thanks again.

-FC

Hmmm... okay, well I'm still having a bit of trouble. Are there any slightly more explicit tips to be had? I'm a bit lost in the symbology, and seem to be unable to calculate an answer here.

Thanks,

-FC

oooookay...

Well, since no one has given any further assistance, I had to figure this out for myself.

And just in case someone else out there reads this thread in hopes of finding something out, I'll post my findings, so this was not all in vain.

For a 2-dimentional surface in R^3, all geodesics will have second derivatives normal to the surface.

This is the easiest way to deal with geodesics on a surface in R^3.

Note that this doesn't work in higher dimentions.

I hope you all have better luck than I have had trying to figure this stuff out.

-FC

What is "The Great Circle et al"?

The Great Circle et al refers to a group of scientists who have conducted research on the phenomenon known as the Great Circle. This group includes geophysicists, meteorologists, and other experts in related fields.

What is the Great Circle?

The Great Circle is a term used to describe a circle on the surface of a sphere that has the same center as the sphere. It is the largest possible circle that can be drawn on a given sphere, and it is used in navigation and other scientific calculations.

What is the significance of the Great Circle?

The Great Circle has many applications in science and navigation. It is used to determine the shortest distance between two points on a sphere, as well as to calculate the shortest flight path between two locations on the Earth's surface. It is also used in geology and meteorology to study the Earth's weather patterns and predict future climate changes.

How is the Great Circle calculated?

The Great Circle is calculated using spherical trigonometry, which involves using the Earth's radius and the latitude and longitude coordinates of two points to determine the angle and distance between them. This calculation is complex and requires advanced mathematical skills and specialized software.

What are the limitations of the Great Circle?

The Great Circle is a useful tool in many scientific fields, but it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the Earth is a perfect sphere, which is not entirely accurate. It also does not account for factors such as wind and ocean currents, which can affect navigation and weather patterns. Additionally, the Great Circle is not always the most practical or efficient route, and other factors such as cost and safety must also be considered in real-world applications.