Speed of light; distance from earth to sun

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of how long it would take for the effect of the sun's sudden extinguishment to be visible on Earth. The average distance from the Earth to the sun and the speed of light are given as 9.30 x 10^7 miles and 3.00 x 10^8 meters per second, respectively. The next step is to convert the units in order to calculate the time in minutes.
lonelyassassin
Ok, I got this problem and I don't know where to start...

"The average distance from the Earth to the sun is 9.30 x 10^7 miles. Light travels at a speed of 3.00 x 10^8 meters per second. If the sun were to be suddenly extinguished, how many minutes would it take for the effect to be visible here on earth? Show work."

Can someone tell me how do I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there lonelyassassin and welcome to PF,

HINT:

[tex]Speed = \frac{Distance}{Time}[/tex]

Ok, from your hint, I got:
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8793/work1bu5.jpg

First of all, am I on the right track?
If I am, then the next step should be to factor label to get to minutes, but the meter/second is on both the denominator and numerator. And the miles is already on the numerator.

Can you tell me how to proceed now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Convert miles to meters or convert meters/second into miles/second and you'll have your answer.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a constant in physics, defined as approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is denoted by the symbol 'c' and is the fastest possible speed at which energy or information can travel.

2. How far is the distance between Earth and the Sun?

The average distance between Earth and the Sun is approximately 149.6 million kilometers, or 93 million miles. This distance is also known as one astronomical unit (AU) and is used as a unit of measurement in astronomy.

3. How long does it take for light to travel from the Sun to Earth?

Since the speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second and the distance from Earth to the Sun is approximately 149.6 million kilometers, it takes about 8 minutes and 20 seconds for light to travel from the Sun to Earth.

4. Is the speed of light the same in all directions?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and the same in all directions. This means that no matter the direction or velocity of the observer, the speed of light will always be measured as approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

5. How do we measure the distance from Earth to the Sun?

Astronomers use a method called parallax to measure the distance from Earth to the Sun. This involves observing the position of a nearby star from two different points on Earth's orbit and using trigonometry to calculate the distance. Other methods, such as radar and spacecraft measurements, are also used to determine the precise distance.