Dielectric help needed

• Thread starter clarr1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dielectric
In summary, the problem described involves a parallel-plate capacitor with a dielectric constant of 3.4 connected to a 100 V battery. The potential energy with the dielectric can be calculated using the given formula, and the potential energy without the dielectric can be calculated using the capacitance formula. When the dielectric is removed, charge flows back into the battery, equalizing the charge with and without the dielectric. It is unclear if this charge affects the voltage output of the battery and how it would impact the potential energy equation.
clarr1
A parallel-plate capacitor filled with dielectric K=3.4 is connected to a 100 V battery. After charging, the dielectric is removed and the battery remains connected. What would be the work required to remove the dielectric.I've done a problem similar to the one above, however, the battery was disconnected. Also, this problem doesn't give the area (A) or distance (d) of the capacitor, which would seem essential. But, I haven't gotten the problem correct after 20 or so attempts so what would I know?

What I do know is that the potential energy with the dielectric is:

.5(3.4((8.85E-12*A)/d))*(100^2)

and without the dielectric, the capacitance is: C=(8.85E-12)A/d

and the potential energy here is: .5(C)(V^2)=U

however, I know that when the dielectric is removed, charge flows back into the battery. Would this charge be the difference in charge on the plates before and after the dielectric is removed. And will this charge change the voltage of the battery. So, would i have to find the change in charge and add it to the constant charge of the battery to find the new voltage of the battery after the dielectric is removed? and would this charge go into the potential energy equation for after the dielectric is removed? and then would i subtract the two?Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So I know how to get the potential energy before the dielectric is removed. But when it is removed, charge goes from the plates back to the battery, making the charge with and without the dielectric equal. So really, my main question is this: does the charge traveling back into the battery change the voltage output of the battery which would be included in the second potential energy equation?

for reaching out for help with this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved, but you are struggling with the specific calculations and variables given in this problem.

To start, let's clarify the given information. We are told that the capacitor is initially connected to a 100 V battery, and the dielectric used has a dielectric constant (K) of 3.4. We are also given that the battery remains connected after the dielectric is removed. From this information, we can assume that the capacitor is initially fully charged and at equilibrium with the battery.

Now, let's consider what happens when the dielectric is removed. As you correctly mentioned, the charge on the plates of the capacitor will redistribute due to the change in capacitance. This will result in a change in the voltage of the capacitor. However, since the battery remains connected, it will continue to supply a constant voltage of 100 V to the capacitor. Therefore, the change in voltage of the capacitor will not affect the voltage of the battery.

To calculate the work required to remove the dielectric, we need to consider the change in potential energy of the capacitor before and after the dielectric is removed. The potential energy of a parallel-plate capacitor with a dielectric is given by U = ½Kε0A(d/d)², where K is the dielectric constant, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. We can also express the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor with a dielectric as C = Kε0A/d.

Before the dielectric is removed, the potential energy of the capacitor is U = ½(Kε0A/d)(100²). After the dielectric is removed, the potential energy becomes U' = ½(ε0A/d)(100²). The difference between these two potential energies will give us the work required to remove the dielectric, since work is defined as the change in potential energy.

Therefore, the work required to remove the dielectric is U' - U = ½(ε0A/d)(100²) - ½(Kε0A/d)(100²) = ½(ε0A/d)(100²)(1-K). This equation shows that the work required to remove the dielectric is dependent on the dielectric constant and the other variables of the capacitor (area and distance

1. What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is a type of insulating material that is able to store and transmit electrical energy. These materials have a high electrical resistance and are commonly used in electronic devices to prevent the flow of electricity.

2. Why is a dielectric material important in electronic devices?

A dielectric material is important in electronic devices because it can function as an insulator to prevent short circuits and also as a capacitor to store electrical energy. This allows for efficient and safe operation of electronic devices.

3. How does a dielectric material affect the performance of electronic devices?

The type of dielectric material used in an electronic device can affect its performance in terms of its ability to store and transmit electrical energy, its thermal stability, and its resistance to breakdown. The dielectric properties of the material can also affect the speed and efficiency of electronic signals.

4. What are some common types of dielectric materials?

Some common types of dielectric materials include ceramics, plastics, glass, and certain types of rubber. These materials are chosen for their specific dielectric properties and are often used in different electronic applications.

5. How can I determine the appropriate dielectric material for my electronic project?

The appropriate dielectric material for an electronic project will depend on the specific requirements and characteristics of the project. Factors to consider when choosing a dielectric material include its dielectric strength, thermal stability, and compatibility with other materials in the project. Consulting with a materials engineer or doing research on different dielectric materials can help determine the best option for a specific project.