Cylindrical Shells and Gauss' Law

In summary, cylindrical shells are a geometric shape formed by rotating a rectangle around its long side and are often used in physics to model objects with cylindrical symmetry. Gauss' Law relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed charge and can be used to calculate the electric field for cylindrical shells. This is done by using a Gaussian surface in the shape of a cylinder with the same radius as the shell. Cylindrical shells can have a net charge of zero if the positive and negative charges are evenly distributed. They have practical applications in engineering and physics such as modeling the Earth's magnetic field and designing electric motors and generators.
Soaring Crane

Homework Statement

An infinitely long cylindrical shell of radius 6.0 cm carries a uniform surface charge density sigma = 12 nC/m^2. The electric field at r = 5.9 cm is approximately

a.0.81 kN/C

b.zero.

c.1.3 kN/C.

d.12 kN/C.

e.0.56 kN/C.

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

Will the correct choice be b. 0? I am assuming that this is a conducting cylindrical shell. When r < R, E will be 0.

Homework Statement

An infinitely long cylinder of radius 4.0 cm carries a uniform volume charge density rho = 200 nC/m^3. What is the electric field at r = 8.0 cm?

a.0.23 kN/C

b.0.11 kN/C

c.57 kN/C

d.0.44 kN/C

e.zero

Homework Equations

electric flux = Integral [E*dA] = Q_enclosed/epsilon_0

I sloshed through this one because I mixed up the radii (r and R) at first. Did I eventually get the correct answer?

Q_enclosed = rho*2*pi*R^2*l

flux = E*2*pi*r*l

E*2*pi*r*l = (rho*2*pi*R^2*l)/(epsilon_0)

E = (rho*R^2)/(r*epsilon_0) = (200*10^-9 c/m^3)(0.04 m)^2/[0.08 m*8.85*10^-12] = 452 N/C??

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Soaring Crane said:

Homework Statement

An infinitely long cylindrical shell of radius 6.0 cm carries a uniform surface charge density sigma = 12 nC/m^2. The electric field at r = 5.9 cm is approximately

a.0.81 kN/C

b.zero.

c.1.3 kN/C.

d.12 kN/C.

e.0.56 kN/C.

Homework Equations

See below.

Will the correct choice be b. 0? I am assuming that this is a conducting cylindrical shell. When r < R, E will be 0.
No reason to think the shell has any thickness or that it's a conductor. Nonetheless, since the charge is on the surface of the shell (and we presume no other charge exists) the field will be zero for r < R. (Since the charge enclosed within any cylindrical shell with such a radius would be zero.)

Homework Statement

An infinitely long cylinder of radius 4.0 cm carries a uniform volume charge density rho = 200 nC/m^3. What is the electric field at r = 8.0 cm?

a.0.23 kN/C

b.0.11 kN/C

c.57 kN/C

d.0.44 kN/C

e.zero

Homework Equations

electric flux = Integral [E*dA] = Q_enclosed/epsilon_0

I sloshed through this one because I mixed up the radii (r and R) at first. Did I eventually get the correct answer?

Q_enclosed = rho*2*pi*R^2*l

flux = E*2*pi*r*l

E*2*pi*r*l = (rho*2*pi*R^2*l)/(epsilon_0)

E = (rho*R^2)/(r*epsilon_0) = (200*10^-9 c/m^3)(0.04 m)^2/[0.08 m*8.85*10^-12] = 452 N/C??
I didn't check your arithmetic, but your method is correct.

I would like to confirm that your answers are correct. In the first problem, since the cylindrical shell is conducting, the electric field inside the shell is zero. Therefore, the correct answer is b. zero.

In the second problem, your calculations are correct and the answer is indeed 452 N/C. Good job on catching the mistake with the radii and correcting it. Keep up the good work!

What is the concept of Cylindrical Shells?

Cylindrical shells refer to a geometric shape with a circular base and a curved surface that is formed by rotating a rectangle around its long side. In physics, cylindrical shells are often used to model objects with cylindrical symmetry, such as a wire or a pipe.

What is Gauss' Law and how does it relate to cylindrical shells?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed charge. In the case of cylindrical shells, Gauss' Law can be used to calculate the electric field inside and outside of the shell based on the charge distribution.

How is the electric field calculated for cylindrical shells?

To calculate the electric field for a cylindrical shell, we use Gauss' Law and consider the symmetry of the system. By using a Gaussian surface in the shape of a cylinder with the same radius as the shell, we can simplify the calculations and find the electric field at any point inside or outside of the shell.

Can cylindrical shells have a net charge of zero?

Yes, cylindrical shells can have a net charge of zero as long as the positive and negative charges are evenly distributed and cancel each other out. For example, a neutral atom can be modeled as a cylindrical shell with positive charges in the nucleus and negative charges in the electron cloud.

How are cylindrical shells used in practical applications?

Cylindrical shells have many practical applications in engineering and physics. Some examples include using them to model the Earth's magnetic field, designing electric motors and generators, and analyzing the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators.