Solving of exponential equations and linear equations

The solution is x = 2.08786968363036 after 14 iterations.In summary, the problem is to solve the equation 3^x = 11-x using algebraic manipulation. Both the left and right sides of the equation are strictly increasing and decreasing functions, respectively, indicating that the equation can have only one solution. By estimating the solution through trial and error, or using an iterator or numerical methods, the solution can be found to be x = 2.08786968363036.
unscientific

Homework Statement

solve 3^x = 11-x

Homework Equations

I attempted by drawing both graphs but I am searching for answers through algebra manipulation.

The Attempt at a Solution

x lg 3 = lg (11-x)
x = [ lg (11-x) ]/[ lg 3 ]

Any suggestions or solutions?:confused: Suggestions would be best..i would like to solve this on my own. " Show me the path not carry me through the journey " :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you allowed to graph them or are you trying to solve it algebracialy? If you have a graphing calculator you can just graph them and find the intersection.

Note: This problem has an obvious exact solution.

The solution form
[tex]x = \frac{\ln(11-x)}{\ln 3}[/tex]
suggests an iterator, which works quite nicely:
[tex]x_{n+1} = \frac{\ln(11-x_n)}{\ln 3}[/tex]

Doing something as simple as changing the 11 to 12 eliminates that obvious solution. The iterative approach still works nicely. Starting with [itex]x_0=0[/itex], the iterator [itex]x_{n+1} = \ln(12-x_n)/\ln 3}[/itex] converges to 2.08786968363036 in fourteen steps. Note that this is not the solution to the original problem.

unscientific said:

Homework Statement

solve 3^x = 11-x

Homework Equations

I attempted by drawing both graphs but I am searching for answers through algebra manipulation.

The Attempt at a Solution

x lg 3 = lg (11-x)
x = [ lg (11-x) ]/[ lg 3 ]

Any suggestions or solutions?:confused: Suggestions would be best..i would like to solve this on my own. " Show me the path not carry me through the journey " :biggrin:
You should notice that the LHS is a strictly increasing function (since (3x)' = 3x ln(3) > 0, for all x), and the RHS is a strictly decreasing function (since, (11 - x)' = -1 < 0). So if the equation does have solution, it can only have at most 1 solution. Do you see why? Hint: You can graph one increasing function, and one decreasing function to see if there is a chance that the two functions above intersect each other more than once.

So, first thing is to guess the solution. Normally, the solution will be whole numbers.
So, for x = 0, LHS = 1, RHS = 11, x = 0 is not the solution.
x = 1, LHS = 3, RHS = 10, x = 1 is not the solution.
x = 2, LHS = 9, RHS = 9, yay, x = 2 is one solution. :cool:
Now, x = 2 is the solution.
For any x > 2, since 3x is increasing, we have 3x > 32 = 9, and (11 - x) is decreasing, hence (11 - x) < (11 - 2) = 9
So, for x > 2, we have: [tex]3 ^ x \neq 11 - x[/tex]

You can do the same to show that:
So, for x < 2, we have: [tex]3 ^ x \neq 11 - x[/tex]

And hence, x = 2 is the only solution.

Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:
Unscientific: There is no simple formula for solving problems when the unknown value appears both inside and outside a transcendental function.
But note DH's statement "this problem has an obvious exact solution". "Trial and error" is a well respected mathematical method- as long as the "trials" don't take too long! Try some small integer values for x and see what happens.

Another approach is to re-arrange algebraically to the following form:

y = f(x) = 0

The solution is the zero of the equation. Plotting it easily reveals the solution.

Last edited:
any other ways besides plotting the graph and guessing?

You can estimate it numerically, which is going to be a lot more accurate than plotting. There are many techniques for finding the "roots" of a function. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Root-finding_algorithms" ) have extensive articles on several techniques.

Another way to solve such problems is to find a way to express the function in the form x-g(x) = 0. This yields an iterator xn+1 = g(xn). The iterator may not converge to a solution. The iterator for this particular problem, xn+1 = log3(11-xn) works quite nicely for an initial guess between 0 and 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between exponential and linear equations?

Exponential equations involve an unknown variable in the exponent, while linear equations have the variable only in the base. This means that the variable in an exponential equation grows at a faster rate compared to a variable in a linear equation.

2. How do you solve exponential equations?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use logarithms, graphing, or trial and error. Logarithms are the most common method and involve taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation to isolate the variable.

3. Can you solve exponential equations with negative exponents?

Yes, you can solve exponential equations with negative exponents. Negative exponents can be rewritten as fractions with a positive exponent in the denominator. Then, you can use the same methods to solve the equation as you would with positive exponents.

4. What is the general formula for solving linear equations?

The general formula for solving a linear equation is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. To solve for a specific value of the variable, you can substitute in known values for x and y and solve for the remaining variable.

5. Can you use the same methods to solve both exponential and linear equations?

No, the methods used to solve exponential and linear equations are different. Exponential equations involve logarithms, while linear equations can be solved using algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination. However, both types of equations can be solved using graphing methods.