Using ABS Plastic Outdoors: Pros & Cons

• Thread starter Averagesupernova
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary, ABS plastic is a tough and durable material commonly used in various applications. While it is not specifically mentioned for outdoor use, it is resistant to many chemicals and has been successfully used in outdoor enclosures for electronics. However, UV degradation can be a concern and it is important to use UV-stabilized ABS or add a UV inhibitor for outdoor use. Other options for outdoor enclosures include polycarbonate, which is good for impact resistance but may not hold up well against solvents or oils, and boxes from manufacturers such as Hoffman Electric who offer a variety of options for outdoor use.
Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How well does ABS plastic stand up to the elements? Normally I would not choose this for outdoor use but I am unable to find the type of enclosure I want in anything except ABS.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the wikipedia article, ABS plastic looks to be pretty tough:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABS_plastic

They don't address outdoor use specifically, but they do talk about resistance to a number of chemicals. What's the outdoor enclosure for?

I'm mainly concerned with UV degredation. The enclosure will house some electronics.

I believe ABS is good with UV. The most common style of http://www.pb.unimelb.edu.au/emergency/template-assets-custom/images/EXIT-in-hall.jpg [Broken] are housed in ABS, and the UV component in the bulbs used (most of which is absorbed by the housing) is not small compared to that in sunlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unstabilized ABS is notoriously bad with UV exposure. If the ABS has been compounded with UV stabilizers, the question becomes "How well does the UV stabilizer work?" If it is blended, it will bleed from the surface and be a problem. If a reactive monomer that has a pendant UV stabilizer is incorporated into each of the three phases (acrylonitrile, butadiene and styrene) it can be made nearly bulletproof. I don't know if anybody has incorporated UV stabilizers into the monomers. That would mean modifying the acrylonitrile, butadiene (most susceptible to degradation) and styrene to include a UV stabilizer sub structure.

Nice idea for a patent...

Ah yes, I now recall something about "UV stabilized ABS"... I imagine that's what they use in the signs?

Very likely. This problem was responsible for the largest recall in the automotive industry. The red button in the seat belt was failing due to a manufacturing problem with the ABS. Can you guess what the manufacturing problem was?

I am looking at several products. On one of them the ABS version says that it is not recommended for outdoor use and to use the polycarbonate version instead. I have worked with ABS in the past but always with indoor applications in non-hostile environments.
-
For those interested:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/1554FLA.htm
http://www.hammondmfg.com/1554FLP.htm

Since both products are water proof I would have to assume the reason ABS is not recommended for outdoor is UV. I have not gotten a rep to return my call yet.

chemisttree said:
Can you guess what the manufacturing problem was?
The ABS was not UV stabilized? I don't know, but I'm curious as hell.

here's a hint:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V2X-3VGGS7B-2&_user=10&_coverDate=02%2F01%2F1999&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=5b96fe31a77dcdb44d102edfb3b0834c

Averagesupernova,

You mention that this part you are designing is for outdoor use and is used to enclose electronics. I have made many enclosures for outdoor electrical as well as for many other outdoor applications such as for snow blowers or Ice Augers and ABS is commonly used, however there are many types of ABS and when your addressing the issue of UV
it's not only the base material that you need to be concerned about, but also the colorant of which black is very good against UV ageing. If your using another color, then you need to compound it with a UV inhibitor. If your working with a good molder of your product, they should be able to recommend the correct material for your application. Polycarbonate is also used in outdoor applications and is very good for impact resistance, but is a poor selction if there may be a chance of it coming into contact with a solvent or oil substance, as it will craze or crack over time.

Best Regards,

mtpi.us

Have you considered Hoffman?
http://www.hoffmanonline.com/product_catalog/index.aspx?cat_1=34

The company I work for puts a few thousand boxes into outdoor service every year (NEMA 4 and 4X). Most are plastic. Don't know who we buy them from though, but I know we've bought some from Hoffman. I sent an email to some guys that would know who our primary source is but they probably won't get back to me till Monday.

Hoffman boxes

Q Goest,

I have manufactured product for Hoffman Electric in the past and they do have a large selection of boxes using various manufacturing processes. They are located in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Regards,

mtpi.us

even mobile phone is made of ABS. But it is not ABS complete. It is actually a ABS-PC blend. ABS is also a good conducting polymers as compared to other well known polymers.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the advantages of using ABS plastic outdoors?

ABS plastic is a strong and durable material that is resistant to weathering, UV rays, and chemicals. It is also lightweight and easy to work with, making it a popular choice for outdoor applications.

2. Are there any drawbacks to using ABS plastic outdoors?

While ABS plastic is generally resistant to weathering, it may become brittle over time when exposed to prolonged sunlight. It may also be more prone to scratching and discoloration compared to other plastics.

3. Can ABS plastic withstand extreme temperatures?

ABS plastic has a good temperature resistance range, with a melting point of around 220-240°C and a glass transition temperature of -40°C. However, it may become brittle at very low temperatures, so it may not be suitable for use in extreme cold environments.

4. Is ABS plastic safe for outdoor use?

ABS plastic is generally considered safe for outdoor use as it does not contain harmful chemicals and is resistant to UV rays. However, it is always important to follow proper safety precautions when handling and working with any type of plastic.

5. Can ABS plastic be recycled?

Yes, ABS plastic can be recycled and is commonly used in consumer products such as water bottles, toys, and electronics. However, it is important to check with your local recycling facilities to ensure they accept ABS plastic and to properly prepare it for recycling.