Calculating Neutrino Energy Released in Supernova 1987A using Flux and Distance

In summary, The neutrino flux from supernova 1987A was estimated to be 1.3e14 m^-2 at the Earth. SN 1987A occurred in the Large Magellanic cloud, which is located at a distance of 50 kpc. If the average energy per neutrino was 4.2 MeV, then the amount of energy released in the form of neutrinos during the supernova explosion was 2.08*10^44 J. This was calculated by multiplying the flux, distance, and average energy of the neutrinos, and taking into account the area of a sphere.
Qyzren
The neutrino flux from supernova 1987A was estimated to be 1.3e14 m^-2 at the Earth. SN 1987A occurred in the Large Magellanic cloud, which is located at a distance of 50 kpc. If the average energy per neutrino was 4.2 MeV, estimate the amount of energy released in the form of neutrinos during the supernova explosion

Homework Equations

electron volt = 1.602e-19 J
pc = 3.086e16 m

The Attempt at a Solution

Answer says: 2.6e45 J

I can't seem to get the answer... :(
any help will be appreciated :)
i was thinking since flux falls off ~ 1/d².
so i tried E = flux *d²*avg energy of neutrino
1.3e14*(50000*3.086e16)²*4.2e6*1.602e-19
=3.258e44 J.
So I'm off by more than a factor of 10... :(
What am i doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
the area of a spehere is [tex] 4 \pi r^2 [/tex]

So you should multiply with 4pi = 12,.. =)

also check the numericals, 1.3e14*(50000*3.086e16)²*4.2e6*1.602e-19 = 2.08*10^44 J

oh! Thank you
(yeh i think i typed something wrong in the calculator before).

Last edited:

What is a neutrino?

A neutrino is a subatomic particle that has no electric charge and a very small mass. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe. Neutrinos are also known for their ability to travel through matter without interacting, making them difficult to detect.

Can neutrinos be released in a supernova?

Yes, neutrinos are one of the main products of a supernova explosion. Supernova 1987A, a supernova that occurred in the Large Magellanic Cloud, is known for releasing a large number of neutrinos.

How is the energy of neutrinos released in a supernova calculated?

The energy of neutrinos released in a supernova can be calculated by using the flux and distance of the supernova. Flux refers to the number of neutrinos passing through a certain area per unit time, while distance refers to the distance between the supernova and the observer. By combining these two factors, the energy of neutrinos can be determined.

What is the significance of calculating the energy of neutrinos in Supernova 1987A?

Calculating the energy released by neutrinos in Supernova 1987A provides valuable information about the explosion and the physical processes involved. It also helps in understanding the properties of neutrinos and their role in the universe.

How do scientists measure the flux and distance of a supernova?

Scientists use various methods and instruments, such as neutrino detectors, to measure the flux and distance of a supernova. The flux can be measured by counting the number of neutrinos detected, while the distance can be determined through astronomical observations and calculations.