Yet another mind-blowing quantum mechanics question

In summary, what you are doing is trying to find the expectation value of a single observable that corresponds to a state.
guruoleg
1. So, here is the problem: Suppose the state of the field is described by a state vector->

[tex] |\psi> = \sqrt(3)/2|n>_{m} + 1/2|n+2>_{m} [/tex]

( [tex] |n>_{m} [/tex] means "n" photons in mode "m" and zero photons in every other mode)

If a measurement is made to determine th number of photons in mode "m"
a) What is going to be the expected result?
b) What is going to be the variance?

So, I was taking a look at it and I realized (or at least I think) that this might be a pure state because all the photons reside in a single mode. So, we could find the density operator, [tex]\rho[/tex], and it will be either one or zero since [tex]\rho=\rho^2 [/tex]. So, the mean will equal Tr([tex]\rho[/tex]n) however that will equal infinity which is does not seem to make sense. Then, alternatively I tried deriving another expression for the density operator- using some crazy assumptions such as [tex] (a^+)^2 |n>= \sqrt((n+1)(n+2))|n+2> [/tex] so that is what I have now and I don't know what to do with this...

So, what am I missing here? Is this really a pure state or is this a mixed state? Or do you have to assume something else? My main problem is dealing with the |n+2> part which is greatly bothering me. Once I get the mean it should be straightforward to find the variance. Any hints and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are given a state vector, it's a pure state. A mixed state means a classical ensemble of state vectors. Here you know exactly what state you are in.

You want to measure the number of photons, what observable (operator) corresponds to that measurement?

Hey Galileo, thanks for the input. N is the observable that I believe corresponds to that measurement. I just don't know how to handle the |n+2> situation...

There's nothing strange with |n+2>.

If you were given that the state was [tex] |\psi> = \sqrt(3)/2|2>_{m} + 1/2|4>_{m} [/tex]
would you be able to calculate the expectation value of N?
What if the state was [tex] |\psi> = \sqrt(3)/2|34>_{m} + 1/2|36>_{m} [/tex]?

You're just looking at the same problem for a general value of n.

Actually I figured it out the answer to the mean: you can use the following expressions:

[tex] n\hat|n> = n|n>
n\hat|n+2> = n+2|n> [/tex]

So, when it is all said and done the mean should be [tex] n + 1/2 [/tex]
Thanks a lot for the help!

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It explains how particles such as electrons and photons behave and interact with each other.

Why is quantum mechanics mind-blowing?

Quantum mechanics challenges our everyday understanding of how the world works. It introduces concepts like wave-particle duality, superposition, and entanglement, which are often counterintuitive and mind-boggling.

How does quantum mechanics affect our daily lives?

Quantum mechanics is behind many modern technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in understanding chemical reactions and the behavior of materials at the atomic level.

What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

Is quantum mechanics the same as quantum physics?

Yes, quantum mechanics and quantum physics are often used interchangeably. Both terms refer to the same branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.