Infinite Cubical Well in Cartesian Coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about using separation of variables in cartesian coordinates to solve the infinite cubical well problem. The equations used include the particle in a box potential, kinetic energy equation, and Hamiltonian operators. The solution involves finding the energy levels for each direction using the separation of variables method. The final energy equation includes a factor of 1/L^2 to account for the length of the well.
Rahmuss

Homework Statement

Use separation of variables in cartesian coordinates to solve the infinite cubical well (or "particle in a box"):

[tex]V(x,y,z) = \{^{0, if x, y, z are all between 0 and a;}_{\infty , otherwise.}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Well, I've been trying to use
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2} + V = \frac{1}{2m}(P^{2}_{x} + P^{2}_{y} + P^{2}_{z}) + V = E\Psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2} + V = \frac{1}{2m}(P^{2}_{x} + P^{2}_{y} + P^{2}_{z}) + V = E\Psi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2m}(P^{2}_{x} + P^{2}_{y} + P^{2}_{z}) + V = \frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} + V_{x} + \frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial y^{2}} + V_{y} + \frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial z^{2}} + V_{z}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{H}_{x} = \frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} + V_{x}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{H}_{y} = \frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial y^{2}} + V_{y}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{H}_{z} = \frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial z^{2}} + V_{z}[/tex]

[tex]\Psi = X(x)Y(y)Z(z)[/tex]

[tex](\hat{H}_{x} + \hat{H}_{y} + \hat{H}_{z})(X(x)Y(y)Z(z)) = E*(X(x)Y(y)Z(z))[/tex]

So getting it here doesn't really tell me what the energies are. Can I cancel out [tex]\Psi[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look in a math book on "separation of variable".
You can divide each side by XYZ.
Then use the fact that YZ cancels from H_x(XYZ)/YZ.

So, if I divide by [tex](X(x)Y(y)Z(z))[/tex] from both sides, then I end up with:

[tex]\hat{H} = E[/tex]?

Would it be logical to denote energy in an dimension, like in the x-direction and y-direction and z-direction? (ie. [tex]E = (E_{x} + E_{y} + E_{z})[/tex]

Yes, you have H_x X=E_x X.
This has a simple (sin) solution since X must be zero at x=0 and a.

Well, I was a bit rushed to get my homework in on time; but for my energy equation I got:

[tex]E_{n} = \frac{\hbar^{2} \pi^{2}}{2m}(n^{2}_{x} + n^{2}_{y} + n^{2}_{z})[/tex]

Does that look right? I'd still like to see if what I did was correct or not.

Last edited:
Rahmuss said:
Well, I was a bit rushed to get my homework in on time; but for my energy equation I got:

[tex]E_{n} = \frac{\hbar^{2} \pi^{2}}{2m}(n^{2}_{x} + n^{2}_{y} + n^{2}_{z})[/tex]

Does that look right? I'd still like to see if what I did was correct or not.
You left out /L^2 of the side.

[tex]E_{n} = \frac{\hbar^{2} \pi^{2}}{2mL^{2}}(n^{2}_{x} + n^{2}_{y} + n^{2}_{z})[/tex]?

It's important that I know this stuff because we're having a quiz on it tomorrow.

What is an Infinite Cubical Well in Cartesian Coordinates?

An Infinite Cubical Well in Cartesian Coordinates is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a cubical region with infinitely high potential energy walls.

What is the significance of an Infinite Cubical Well in Cartesian Coordinates?

The Infinite Cubical Well in Cartesian Coordinates serves as an important model for understanding the behavior of quantum particles in confined spaces. It helps explain phenomena such as energy levels, wave functions, and probability distributions.

How is the Infinite Cubical Well in Cartesian Coordinates different from other potential energy wells?

The Infinite Cubical Well in Cartesian Coordinates is unique in that it has infinitely high potential energy walls, which means that the particle is completely confined within the cubical region. This is different from other potential energy wells, which have finite potential energy walls.

What are the limitations of the Infinite Cubical Well in Cartesian Coordinates model?

The Infinite Cubical Well in Cartesian Coordinates model is a simplified theoretical construct and does not accurately describe real-world systems. It assumes that the walls of the well are perfectly rigid and do not allow any particles to escape, which is not possible in reality.

How does the behavior of a particle change as the dimensions of the Infinite Cubical Well in Cartesian Coordinates are altered?

The energy levels and wave functions of a particle in an Infinite Cubical Well in Cartesian Coordinates are directly influenced by the dimensions of the well. As the dimensions are changed, the energy levels and probability distributions of the particle will also change.