What Is the True Energy Cost of Achieving a Fusion Energy Gain Factor?

In summary, achieving a fusion energy gain factor, which is the ratio of fusion output energy to input energy, requires a significant amount of energy. The process involves heating and compressing plasma to extreme temperatures and pressures, which requires large amounts of electricity and other resources. Additionally, there are other costs such as research and development, construction of facilities, and maintenance. The ultimate goal is to achieve a positive energy gain, where the fusion reaction produces more energy than it consumes. This would make fusion energy a viable and sustainable source of clean energy for the future.
stevebd1
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have a general interest in fusion energy and I'm currently looking at the 'fusion energy gain factor' (Q) of fusion reactors (the energy produced divided by the energy used to induce ignition). I'm aware that the JET recorded a Q factor of 0.7 in 1997, the ITER is anticipated to have a Q factor of 10 and the DEMO a Q factor of 25. The Q factor doesn't include the energy used to power the toroidal magnets and I would be interested to know what power these would require and by how much superconducting electromagnets would reduce energy use (power consumption being negligible in the steady field state for SC electromagnets). I've read that for a fusion power station to break even, the Q factor would have to be over 20 due to the power required for current drive, refuelling, profile control and burn control, I'd be interested to know how the factor of 20 'breaks down' regarding these different aspects of energy use (specifically the powering ot the toroidal magnets).

regards
Steve

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
stevebd1 said:
I have a general interest in fusion energy and I'm currently looking at the 'fusion energy gain factor' (Q) of fusion reactors (the energy produced divided by the energy used to induce ignition). I'm aware that the JET recorded a Q factor of 0.7 in 1997, the ITER is anticipated to have a Q factor of 10 and the DEMO a Q factor of 25. The Q factor doesn't include the energy used to power the toroidal magnets and I would be interested to know what power these would require and by how much superconducting electromagnets would reduce energy use (power consumption being negligible in the steady field state for SC electromagnets). I've read that for a fusion power station to break even, the Q factor would have to be over 20 due to the power required for current drive, refuelling, profile control and burn control, I'd be interested to know how the factor of 20 'breaks down' regarding these different aspects of energy use (specifically the powering ot the toroidal magnets).

regards
Steve
One has to properly define Q for it to be useful. I've learned scientific Q vs engineering Q-values.

Here is a reasonable discussion. Technically the energy input must includes all energy inputs including that used to establish and maintain confinement.

Wikipedia said:
The fusion energy gain factor, usually expressed with the symbol Q, is the ratio of fusion power produced in a nuclear fusion reactor to the power required to maintain the plasma in steady state.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_energy_gain_factor

It doesn't address all the details and nuances, but it is one I can readily get my hands on. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply Astronuc. I sent an email to EURATOM/UKAEA Fusion Association at Culhum Science Centre asking the same question but I'm yet to get a reply.

One thing I did find on the web was an interactive simulator for ITER (you can choose between ITER 85 and 05) where you decide the strength of the magnetic confinement, the power input and amount of fuel used (a dial tells you underneath how much power you are using). You can also configure the cross section of the plasma to obtain optimum output. Dials to the left tell you how much energy you're producing (taking into account the energy used). Apparently, you should get an output of 1000 MW. Though obviously this isn't hard evidence of the energy used by the magnetic confinement, it's still an interesting simulation.

Link- http://fusion.gat.com/diii-d_global/simulation/jstar/

Last edited by a moderator:
stevebd1 said:
Thanks for the reply Astronuc. I sent an email to EURATOM/UKAEA Fusion Association at Culhum Science Centre asking the same question but I'm yet to get a reply.

One thing I did find on the web was an interactive simulator for ITER (you can choose between ITER 85 and 05) where you decide the strength of the magnetic confinement, the power input and amount of fuel used (a dial tells you underneath how much power you are using). You can also configure the cross section of the plasma to obtain optimum output. Dials to the left tell you how much energy you're producing (taking into account the energy used). Apparently, you should get an output of 1000 MW. Though obviously this isn't hard evidence of the energy used by the magnetic confinement, it's still an interesting simulation.

Link- http://fusion.gat.com/diii-d_global/simulation/jstar/

Hey, that's fun! I had found something similar a while back, it looks about the same here.

I got 1405 MW of electrical output. I suppose the introductory fusion class helped. :rofl:

stevebd1 said:
I have a general interest in fusion energy and I'm currently looking at the 'fusion energy gain factor' (Q) of fusion reactors (the energy produced divided by the energy used to induce ignition).

Steve,

Q simply refers to the energy quotient as you describe above, and by rights all energy should be taken into consideration. There are always suspicions that the big labs fiddle the numbers and leave out some important information to make the numbers look better. After all they depend on getting more funding next year.

I atttach a pdf file that gives some information about Q from the JET reactor in Culham.

As you may be aware, I belong to a group of amateur fusioneers at www.fusor.net and we have a simple method of calculating Q, where we include all energy in (except the energy required to drive vacuum pumps).

I have set up a permanent Q calculator at

http://www.beejewel.com.au/research/fusion_calculator.htm"

,that anyone with a bubble detector can use, even the big guys if they dare :)

The reason we trust the BTI bubble detector is that all electronic detectors are subject to interference by EMF and we have found that neutron readings are often overstated.

In world of amateur fusion we are still aiming to break the Q 1e-8 barrier http://www.fusor.net/board/view.php?bn=fusor_construction&key=1212188288"

Have fun..

Steven

Attachments

• JETDTKeilhacker.pdf
    850.4 KB · Views: 405

What is fusion energy gain factor?

Fusion energy gain factor, also known as Q value, is a measure of the energy output of a fusion reaction compared to the energy input. It is calculated by dividing the energy output by the energy input. A Q value of 1 or greater indicates a net energy gain and is necessary for a sustainable fusion reaction.

How is fusion energy gain factor calculated?

Fusion energy gain factor is calculated by dividing the energy output of a fusion reaction by the energy input. This is typically measured in joules or electron volts. The energy output is determined by measuring the amount of energy released from the fusion reaction, while the energy input is calculated by measuring the amount of energy required to initiate and sustain the reaction.

What is a good fusion energy gain factor?

A good fusion energy gain factor, or Q value, is 1 or greater. This means that the energy output of the fusion reaction is equal to or greater than the energy input, resulting in a net energy gain. In order for fusion to be a viable source of energy, scientists aim for a Q value of 5 or higher.

How does fusion energy gain factor compare to other energy sources?

Fusion energy gain factor is significantly higher than traditional energy sources, such as fossil fuels or nuclear fission. The Q value for these sources is typically less than 1, meaning that the energy output is less than the energy input. Fusion has the potential to be a much more efficient and sustainable source of energy, with a Q value of 5 or higher.

What are the challenges in achieving a high fusion energy gain factor?

The main challenge in achieving a high fusion energy gain factor is creating and sustaining the extreme conditions necessary for fusion to occur. This includes heating the fuel to temperatures of over 100 million degrees Celsius and confining it with strong magnetic fields or intense laser beams. Additionally, controlling and maintaining the reaction can be difficult, as any disruptions or instabilities can decrease the energy gain factor.