Calculating the pH of a Substance

• Thread starter uneek1960
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the conversation is about using a logarithmic formula to determine the pH of a substance. The equation involves finding the hydrogen content and using it to calculate the pH. The solution involves taking the negative logarithm of the hydrogen ion concentration in moles/litre. The conversation also mentions using Wikipedia as a resource for finding the formula. It ends with a playful mention of fish slapping sharks with laser beams and an aluminum foil hat.
uneek1960

Homework Statement

we are to use a logarithmic formula to give the ph of a substance.

Homework Equations

find the hydrogen content and show how to find the ph.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have checked the web to find a formula but am lost

Physics news on Phys.org
ph is (roughly for dilute solutions) the - log10 of the hydrogen ion concentration in moles/litre.

wiki, wiki, wiki, I envoke thee. Come http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH"

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:
wiki, wiki, wiki, I envoke thee. Come http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH"

Now you have revealed the secret of our effortless knowledge and must die...

evo - bring the fish slapping sharks with laser beams.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will have no effect. I have an aluminum foil hat...

What is the definition of pH?

pH is a measure of how acidic or basic a substance is. It is determined by the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution.

How do you calculate pH?

The pH of a substance can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter.

What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a scale that ranges from 0 to 14 and is used to measure the acidity or basicity of a substance. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, while values below 7 are acidic and values above 7 are basic.

What factors can affect the pH of a substance?

The pH of a substance can be affected by the concentration of hydrogen ions, temperature, and the presence of other substances that can donate or accept hydrogen ions.

Why is pH important in science?

pH is an important concept in science because it can affect the properties and behavior of substances. It is also used in various experiments and processes, such as in the production of certain chemicals or in the maintenance of a healthy environment for living organisms.