Suggestion to stop spammers.

• Thread starter Poop-Loops
  • Start date
In summary: GL!We don't use this addon anymore. The new vb software comes with better tools to fight spam. You might find it at the vb development site. It was not very well supported though.
Poop-Loops
When I had to do something in HTML, I went to a web-programming forum for help. One of the things programmed into it was that you couldn't post any links until you had several posts. If you tried, the post wouldn't get through and you'd get an error message. To fix that, all you had to do was uncheck the box that says "automatically parse links in text". Pretty simple. If you were legit, you'd just do it.

But if it's a bot posting spam, it might completely screw it up to run into something like that, don't you think? Or have spammers already figured out a way to beat that defense?

Physics news on Phys.org
We're actually working on implementing that very idea already. Thanks!

- Warren

Yeah no problem. :smile:

Poop-Loops said:
But if it's a bot posting spam, it might completely screw it up to run into something like that, don't you think? Or have spammers already figured out a way to beat that defense?
It may be a combination of bots and people.

As chroot indicated the administration will introduce improvements to mitigate spam.

I've come across similar but with images, though as far as I am aware there isn't really a problem of such.

Greg,

Would it also be possible to block posts (within the first N posts of a new member) that contain complete words "www" "http" and "com", as well as word fragments "wwwdot" and "dotcom"? This would take care of many of the spam workarounds for including links.

Gokul43201 said:
Greg,

Would it also be possible to block posts (within the first N posts of a new member) that contain complete words "www" "http" and "com", as well as word fragments "wwwdot" and "dotcom"? This would take care of many of the spam workarounds for including links.

I think that's been implemented Gokul.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was some spam posted earlier with an incomplete url, something like "www blah com". I believe it was manually deleted by a Mentor.

Blocking certain phrases like www. and .com will not get rid of them totally, but I am sure it has had some effect. How do these spam bots get passed the bit that says DFH56HFY?

Gokul43201 said:
There was some spam posted earlier with an incomplete url, something like "www blah com". I believe it was manually deleted by a Mentor.
The way it works is if a new member posts a link his post will be automatically blocked and will get an error message. If the spammer reposts altering the link as in abc.com, it will not be a live link.

Continue reporting these as spam.

We have to try to find a balance between slowing down the spammers (and especially keeping their images from appearing) and not making it overly cumbersome for new members to post.

Yeah, I agree there Moonbear. Not being a mentor it is quite hard to judge how many spammers there are, other than the one or two a week I report. Are there than many MB??

Yes, there are quite a few, they seem to come in bursts.

How did you guys implement the "no links until 15 posts" feature? Is it an open-source plugin that I could download from somewhere, or was it custom coded? I'm having a big problem with spam on another forum I administer and I need to implement something similar.

jma2001 said:
How did you guys implement the "no links until 15 posts" feature? Is it an open-source plugin that I could download from somewhere, or was it custom coded? I'm having a big problem with spam on another forum I administer and I need to implement something similar.

We don't use this addon anymore. The new vb software comes with better tools to fight spam. You might find it at the vb development site. It was not very well supported though. GL!

1. How can we identify and block spammers?

The best way to identify and block spammers is by implementing strong spam filters and using tools such as CAPTCHA to verify that the user is a real person and not a spam bot. It is also important to regularly review and update these measures to stay ahead of new spamming techniques.

2. What steps can we take to prevent spammers from accessing our website or platform?

To prevent spammers from accessing your website or platform, you can implement measures such as requiring users to have a verified email address or phone number, limiting the number of actions a user can take in a certain time period, and using IP blocking to prevent known spammers from accessing your site.

3. How can we report and stop spammers?

You can report spammers by using the "report" or "flag" feature on most websites or platforms. This will bring the spammer to the attention of the site administrators who can take action such as banning the user or removing the spam content. It is also important to regularly monitor and moderate user-generated content to catch and remove spam as quickly as possible.

4. What are some common red flags that may indicate a user is a spammer?

Some common red flags that may indicate a user is a spammer include using suspicious or fake-looking email addresses, posting repetitive or irrelevant content, and sending unsolicited messages or friend requests. It is important to be vigilant and investigate any suspicious behavior to prevent spammers from infiltrating your site.

5. How can we educate our users to recognize and report spammers?

One way to educate users to recognize and report spammers is by providing clear guidelines and instructions on how to identify and report spam on your website or platform. You can also use pop-up notifications or reminders to encourage users to report any suspicious activity. Additionally, regularly communicating with your users about the importance of reporting spammers can help raise awareness and create a community effort to combat spam.