Understanding the Physical Meaning of Pauli Matrices and Electron Spin

• Thread starter GAGS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary, the Pauli matrices are the spin operator for spin 1/2 particles and have no classical analogue due to the elementary particles having no spatial extension. The conclusion of the electron's spin being +-1/2 is based on experiments such as the Stern Gerlach experiment, and can be further understood through researching matrix representation of operators and the response of particles to magnetic fields.
GAGS
1.)CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHATS THE PHYSICAL SIGNIFICANCE AND MEANING OF PAULI MATRICES.FROM WHERE IT FOUND ITS ORIGINATION?

2.) MOREOVER WHY IS IT SAID THAT" SPIN HAS NO CLASSICAL ANALOGUE",IT IS NOT LIKE THE ANGULAR MOMENTUM OF ANY BODY SPINNING ON ITS AXIS?

3.)HOW WE CONCLUDE THAT ELECTRON'S SPIN IS +-1/2( PLEASE DONT RELATE ANSWER TO FERMIONS OR BOSONS)
:confused:
WITH REGARDS

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually sir i read the mail few days ago in:"physical significance of pauli spin matrices".but its too lenghty and tedious to understand.
Can u elaborate it in short,if being not disturbed.
Anyway for third response i am extrmely sorry,i am not getting it correctly,in stern gerlach experiment we are just separating the electron beam with opposite spin by applying magnetic field.
But sir i want to know from where we come to the result of numerical values 1/2 (or for fermions we are saying,it is half integral and for bosons we conclude integral spin)
with regards

the pauli matrices is just the spin operator for spin 1/2 particles in matrix representation. If you don't know what matrix representation of operators is, then perhaps google it a bit first.

I did the search for you regarding Q3: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/spin.html

The spin of particles are manifested through their respons on magnetic fields, if the spin of electron was 1, the we can have three direction (-1,0 and 1) and hence 3lines in the stern gerlash experiment.

I think I cannot get the better response to this question,thanks so much sir for clearing my confusion.

1. What is the definition of "Physical Meaning" in science?

"Physical Meaning" refers to the significance or interpretation of a scientific concept or phenomenon in terms of physical laws and principles. It involves understanding the underlying physical processes and mechanisms that govern the behavior of the system being studied.

2. Why is understanding the physical meaning of a scientific concept important?

Understanding the physical meaning of a scientific concept allows scientists to make accurate predictions and explanations about the behavior of the system being studied. It also helps to ensure that scientific theories and models are consistent with established physical laws and principles.

3. How do scientists determine the physical meaning of a new phenomenon or concept?

Scientists use a combination of experiments, observations, and mathematical models to determine the physical meaning of a new phenomenon or concept. They may also compare the new concept to existing theories and laws to see if it fits within the current understanding of the physical world.

4. Can the physical meaning of a scientific concept change over time?

Yes, the physical meaning of a scientific concept can change over time as new evidence and theories are discovered. As our understanding of the physical world evolves, so do our interpretations and explanations of scientific concepts.

5. How does understanding the physical meaning of a concept help in the development of new technologies?

Understanding the physical meaning of a concept can help scientists and engineers develop new technologies by providing a foundation for designing and testing new devices or processes. It also allows for the prediction and control of the behavior of these technologies based on established physical laws and principles.