Can I Prove Perpendicular Acceleration Using d(v^2)/dt = 0?

In summary, the relationship between acceleration and velocity of a particle moving at constant speed can be shown by using the fact that d/dt(v^2)=0. This equation can also be derived from Newton's second law, which states that the dot product of force and velocity is equal to the mass times acceleration. This shows that the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, providing a physical explanation for the mathematical approach.
LD_90
The acceleration of a particle moving at constant speed is perpendicular to its instantaneous velocity. How can I show this by using the fact that
d(v^2)/dt=d(v. v )/dt=0?

This doesn't seem like the most direct way to look at the concept. Help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that it is, indeed, the most direct way, since you utilize the sole information you have been given, namely that the speed is constant.
Since the speed is constant, you have the equation d/dt(v^(2))=0 immediately at your disposal.

I've thought a bit more of your complaint; possibly you would prefer a more
"physical" argument, rather than what perhaps seems like mathematical "trickery" and "waving with the magic wand".
So, I'll give a second argument, based on Newton's second law:
(Forgive me for not "LATEX"-ing the code, I'll use the symbol "." for the dot product in the remainder)

Newton's second law states:
F=ma

Form the dot product:

F.v=ma.v

Integrate this from 0 to an arbitrary T:

int(0 to T)F.vdt=1/2mv^(2)(t=T)-1/2mv^(2)(t=0)

Since the speed is given as constant in time, we necessarily have:

int(0 to T)F.vdt=0, for ARBITRARY CHOICE OF T!

This means, that we necessarily have F.v=0 for all times!
Or, going back to Newton's 2 law again:
0=ma.v-->a.v=0, a is perpendicular on v

Thank you arildno. It all clicked after I read your first post.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is usually measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What causes acceleration?

Acceleration is caused by a change in an object's velocity. This can be due to a change in its speed, direction, or both. Forces, such as gravity or friction, can also cause acceleration by changing an object's velocity.

4. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, velocity measures how fast an object is moving, while acceleration measures how quickly its speed or direction is changing.

5. How is acceleration related to Newton's laws of motion?

Acceleration is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and vice versa.