Are powdered neodymium magnets explosive?

In summary: Thanks for the input.In summary, the person is not sure whether the magnets in the video are real or fake and whether they are dangerous.
kateman
I was watching this video on youtube called will it blend where they supposedly blended neodymium magnets into powder. I saw sparks coming from the process of it being powdered but I have read elsewhere that trying to file neodymium magnets is dangerous as it would be explosive.

I am not sure whether it truly is explosive or if the video is fake/didn't use real neodymium magnets. Which is right?

I have neodymium magnets and I know they do easily chip if allowed to come together at a fast rate, but I am not sure whether it is a danger or isn't.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume this is the video in question: http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=magnets

First of all, even two neodymium magnets of that size would be nearly impossible to separate by hand. Plus, all the rare-earth magnets I've seen are chrome-plated on the outside and have a rough, silvery texture when broken or chipped. I'm pretty sure the ones in the video are regular cheap ceramic magnets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought myself some Neodymium magnets to play with a while ago, and they are definitely not Neodymium. The magnets I have are about that size, and if I had that many and just clanked them together like that I'd break a finger.

And yeah, all mine are nickel plated so they are not as brittle. Neodymium magnets are extremely brittle without a hard coating (and even then they very brittle).

Thanks you guys. I just thought something was off with them.

Iam guessing that if the magnets chip as easily as they do, that they arn't explosive then either?
Otherwise there would be more warnings all over them when you buy them and I am guessing I would have heard about it on the news or something beforehand.
Anyone know?
LOL, iam not game enough to find out with my own

1. What is a powdered neodymium magnet?

A powdered neodymium magnet is a type of permanent magnet made from a mix of neodymium, iron, and boron particles that are compressed into a powder form and then sintered (heated) to create a solid magnet. It is one of the strongest and most commonly used rare earth magnets, known for its high magnetic strength and resistance to demagnetization.

2. How are powdered neodymium magnets made?

Powdered neodymium magnets are made through a process called powder metallurgy. This involves mixing neodymium, iron, and boron particles in exact proportions, pressing the mixture into a desired shape, and then sintering it at high temperatures. The resulting product is a solid magnet with a uniform composition and strong magnetic properties.

3. What are the applications of powdered neodymium magnets?

Powdered neodymium magnets are used in a wide range of applications, including electric motors, generators, speakers, magnetic bearings, magnetic separators, and MRI machines. They are also commonly used in consumer electronics such as headphones, hard drives, and mobile phones due to their small size and high magnetic strength.

4. What are the benefits of using powdered neodymium magnets?

The main benefits of using powdered neodymium magnets include their high magnetic strength, resistance to demagnetization, and ability to maintain their magnetic properties at high temperatures. They are also cost-effective and have a long lifespan, making them a popular choice for various industrial and consumer applications.

5. Are there any safety concerns when handling powdered neodymium magnets?

Powdered neodymium magnets can be hazardous if handled incorrectly. Due to their strong magnetic force, they can cause serious injuries if they snap together or attract to metal objects. It is important to handle these magnets with care and keep them away from small children. In addition, some powdered neodymium magnets may contain toxic materials, so proper disposal methods should be followed to avoid environmental contamination.