Can a superconducting magnet maintain its magnetic field indefinitely?

Senor Griffiths In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of superconducting magnets and how they are able to maintain a persistent current and magnetic field due to their zero resistance. It also addresses the question of what happens when a wrench is introduced into the system and how the magnetic field may decrease in strength due to energy transfer. It is clarified that the magnetic field will not increase in strength if the wrench and magnet are pulled apart again.
WarPhalange
This isn't a homework problem, but I figured I'd post it here since it's a pretty basic question, in my view at least.

So my professor and Senor Griffiths have been telling me this for the past year. Cool. Now I'm working on a project that uses a superconducting magnet.

So I started to think, and here's my question:

If I have a superconducting magnet, i.e. a solenoid that has I guess you call it persistent current running through it at 0 Ohms, it will (or should) have it's magnetic field for almost infinity.

Now if I introduce a wrench into the system, the B-field will attract it and bring it closer. As this happens, will the B-field lose strength because it is transferring energy to both the wrench and magnet itself as kinetic energy?

If I do this very slowly so that when they touch, very minimal heat is released (so I guess the B-field is low), what would happen if I pulled them apart again? I'm guessing the magnet would not inscrease in strength once more. Am I thinking correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this interesting question. Your understanding of superconducting magnets and their behavior is correct. Superconducting magnets are able to maintain a persistent current and magnetic field for a very long time due to their zero resistance, which allows for the current to flow without any energy loss.

When you introduce a wrench into the system, the magnetic field will indeed attract it and bring it closer. This will cause a transfer of energy from the magnetic field to the wrench, resulting in a decrease in the strength of the magnetic field. However, this decrease will be very small and may not even be measurable in most cases.

If you were to pull the wrench and magnet apart again, the magnetic field would not increase in strength. This is because the energy that was transferred to the wrench is now stored in the form of kinetic energy, and the magnetic field will not be able to regain that energy. Therefore, the strength of the magnetic field will remain the same as before.

I hope this helps clarify your question. Superconducting magnets are fascinating and have many unique properties that make them useful in various applications. Best of luck with your project!

1. What does it mean for a magnetic field to do no work?

When we say that a magnetic field does no work, it means that the field itself is not able to transfer energy to an object or change its kinetic energy. This is due to the fact that a magnetic field does not have a component in the direction of motion of the charged particle.

2. How does a magnetic field interact with a charged particle?

A magnetic field interacts with a charged particle by exerting a force on it, known as the Lorentz force. This force is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the particle. The magnitude of this force is dependent on the charge of the particle, its velocity, and the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the current flowing through a wire, the number of turns in a wire, the distance from the source of the field, and the permeability of the materials in the field. The strength of a magnetic field is also directly proportional to the amount of energy stored in it.

4. Can a magnetic field do work indirectly?

While a magnetic field itself cannot do work, it can indirectly cause work to be done. This is because a magnetic field can interact with a current-carrying wire, causing the wire to move and do work. This is the principle behind electric motors and generators.

5. Why is it important to understand that magnetic fields do no work?

Understanding that magnetic fields do no work is important in many areas of science and technology. It helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields and how to control and manipulate them. It also forms the basis of many practical applications, such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators.