Need help with physics symbols in question

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of the symbol "¡Ø" in a physics question and the possible answers to the question. The symbol is likely an error and the correct answer is C, which states that the temperature change of a substance is directly proportional to the quantity of heat added. The symbol "¡Ø" is likely meant to represent the proportional to symbol ("\propto"). The conversation also briefly mentions the use of this symbol in physics and the purpose of using it.
Tweek

Homework Statement

I'm taking an online physics course and I do not understand what the symbols mean in the question.

The question is: Which of the following is a shorthand way of stating that "the temperature change of a substance is directly propertional to the quantity of heat added"?

A. Q ¡Ø m
B. m ¡Ø Tf - Ti
C. Q ¡Ø T
D. Q = Tf - Ti

I know that Q means heat. I'm guessing that Tf is final temp and Ti is initial temp. I also know that m is for mass. However I have no idea what ¡Ø means.

Homework Equations

My textbook does not use this ¡Ø symbol and I have searched online but I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone tell me what ¡Ø means?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is C and if I can't get any help here I'm going to choose that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean: [itex]\propto[/itex] ?
That symbol means: proportional to.

For example, instead of writing: "The formula for y is [itex]y = k x^2[/itex] with k some constant" physicists tend to say "y is proportional to the square of x", or "[itex]y \propto x^2[/itex]". They just do it to indicate the shape of the function, without going into details about precise (often numerical) prefactors and shifts.

For example, [itex]3 (x - a)^2 + 16 \pi[/itex] is also proportional to [itex]x^2[/itex].

Yeah I am familiar with the proportional to symbol but on the work sheet it gives this ¡Ø
It might be an error. In this case I think c makes the most sense. I think answer c means temp change is directly proportional to the quantity of heat added.

If it really says that, it must be an error. Probably it was copy/pasted from another document and the proportionality symbol wasn't copied correctly.

Anyway, why did you discard B?

The reason why I discarded B is because it has mass in the formula and it doesn't have the Q for heat.

BTW I really appreciate your help. Thanks :-)

Last edited:
Tweek said:
The reason why I discarded B is because it has mass in the formula and it doesn't have the Q for heat.
Ah, :rofl: I missed that. I just thought the Tf - Ti looked very tempting. But of course, proportionality to T also means proportionality to (T - T0) :smile:

Tweek said:
BTW I really appreciate your help. Thanks :-)
You are most welcome.

1. What are some common physics symbols used in equations?

Some common physics symbols include "m" for mass, "v" for velocity, "a" for acceleration, "F" for force, "t" for time, and "E" for energy.

2. How do I know which unit of measurement goes with each physics symbol?

Units of measurement are often included in the symbol or written next to it. For example, "m" can stand for meters, "kg" for kilograms, and "s" for seconds.

3. What is the difference between a capital and lowercase letter in a physics symbol?

A capital letter typically represents a vector quantity, while a lowercase letter represents a scalar quantity. For example, "F" represents force as a vector, while "f" represents force as a scalar.

4. How can I remember all the different physics symbols?

One helpful way to remember physics symbols is to create flashcards and practice regularly. You can also try using mnemonic devices or making connections between the symbol and its meaning.

5. Are there any online resources for learning and practicing physics symbols?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as interactive quizzes, flashcards, and tutorials. Some websites also offer virtual labs and simulations to help you understand and apply physics symbols in a practical way.