Finding Orthogonal Vectors in R^5 without Cross Product

In summary, the task is to find a system of linear equations that a vector x must satisfy in order to be orthogonal to given mutually orthogonal vectors a, b, and c. The equations are x1-x2+3x4+x5=0, 3x1+x2-2x3-x4=0, and x1+5x2+2x3+4x4-4x5=0, and the solution is x=(0,0,0,0,0)+s(-8,2,-11,5,0)+t(-5,5,-6,0,2). The solution is a two parameter family of vectors.
phil ess

Homework Statement

Given vectors a=(1,-1,0,2,1) b=(3,1,-2,-1,0) and c=(1,5,2,4,-4), which are mutually orthogonal, find a system of linear equations that a vector x must satisfy so it is orthogonal to a, b, and c.

Homework Equations

None I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is part A of the problem, after which I just have to solve the system and I'm confident I can do the rest once I have it, but I don't know where to start. I tried using the equations:

x1-x2+3x4+x5=0
3x1+x2-2x3-x5=0
x1+5x2+2x3+4x4-4x5=0

And then just solving the matrix, which gives me
x=(0,0,0,0,0)+s(-8,2,-11,5,0)+t(-5,5,-6,0,2)

But I'm pretty sure this doesn't answer the problem. I don't know how to create a system that gives orthogonal solutions, and the above solution isn't even a vector as far as I know. How do I start this problem? Any tips are much appreciated! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing exactly the right thing, except there seems to be some typos in your equations. How did you get the 3 in the first one and why is there an x5 and not an x4 in the second one. Your result isn't 'a' vector, it's a two parameter family of vectors, which is exactly what you should get, but the numbers aren't quite right either.

I understand the problem now, and I went back and reworked everything carefully and ended up with the right solution. It was actually much easier than I thought at first. Thanks a lot!

1. How can I find orthogonal vectors in R^5 without using the cross product?

There are two main methods for finding orthogonal vectors in R^5 without using the cross product. The first method is to use the Gram-Schmidt process, which involves finding a set of orthogonal vectors that span the same space as the original vectors. The second method is to use the null space of a matrix to find orthogonal vectors that satisfy a specific system of equations.

2. Can I use the cross product to find orthogonal vectors in R^5?

No, the cross product is only defined for vectors in R^3. It is not applicable for finding orthogonal vectors in R^5. Other methods, such as the ones mentioned in the previous question, should be used instead.

3. How many orthogonal vectors can I find in R^5?

In R^5, you can find up to 5 orthogonal vectors. This is because the maximum number of orthogonal vectors in any space is equal to the dimension of that space.

4. What is the significance of finding orthogonal vectors in R^5?

Finding orthogonal vectors in R^5 is important in many applications, such as linear algebra, computer graphics, and physics. Orthogonal vectors are useful for representing and manipulating higher-dimensional spaces and can simplify complex calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to finding orthogonal vectors in R^5 without using the cross product?

One limitation is that the Gram-Schmidt process and null space method may not always result in a unique set of orthogonal vectors. Additionally, these methods may be more computationally intensive compared to using the cross product. However, they are still valid and useful techniques for finding orthogonal vectors in R^5.