Proving an Inequality: Using the Mean Value Theorem

• Thread starter springo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the inequality you are trying to prove is only true for a select range of x-values. You need to know the mean value theorem in order to figure out what range this is. Once you know this, you can then take logs and find the inequalities for 0 < x < +∞.
springo

Homework Statement

I need to prove an inequality for 0 < x < +∞.

Homework Equations

eq.latex?1-\frac{x}{2}%20\leq%20Ln(3+cos%20x)%20\leq%20\frac{3}{2}+\frac{x}{2}.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess it must be something with the mean value theorem, but I can't find what it is.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Added range for x.

Attachments

• eq.latex?1-\frac{x}{2}%20\leq%20Ln(3+cos%20x)%20\leq%20\frac{3}{2}+\frac{x}{2}.gif
    eq.latex?1-\frac{x}{2}%20\leq%20Ln(3+cos%20x)%20\leq%20\frac{3}{2}+\frac{x}{2}.gif
    944 bytes · Views: 502
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This inequality is only true for a select range of x-values, so what range are you supposed to prove this for?

Sorry forgot to say: 0 < x < +∞

I don't see where restricting x to the positive reals does anything for you.

2 <= 3 + cos(x) <= 4, for all real x, so ln(3 + cos(x)) is defined for all real x, as well.
Taking logs, the inequality above becomes
ln(2) <= ln(3 + cos(x)) <= ln(4) = 2ln(2)

I don't see how the lower and upper bounds of the original inequality figure in, though.

Hint: Let [itex]f(x)=\ln (3+ \cos x)[/itex]...what does the mean value theorem have to say about [itex]f(x)-f(0)[/itex]?

eq.latex?ln(3+cos%20x)%20-%20ln(4)%20=%20\frac{cos%20x-1}{l}.gif

With:
eq.gif

Right?But still, I can't think of anything but making that:
eq.gif

And then replacing, but still nothing.

Last edited:
Perhaps we should go over the mean value theorem first...it says that for some [itex]c \in [a,b] [/itex]
, the following will hold true:

[tex]\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}=f'(c) \Rightarrow f(b)-f(a)=(b-a)f'(c)[/tex]

So looking at [itex]f(x)-f(0)[/itex] means [itex]a=0[/itex] and [itex]b=x[/itex] in the above relation right?...what does that give you?

I thought [tex]b = 3+cos x[/tex] and [tex]a = 3+cos 0 = 4[/tex] :rolleyes:

So for: [tex]0 \leq l \leq x[/tex] we have:
[tex]ln(3+cos x) - ln(4) = \frac{x}{l}[/tex]
Is that right so far?

What happened to [itex]f'(l)[/itex]?

OK, I forgot that it's not [tex]ln(l)[/tex] but rather [tex]ln(3+\cos l)[/tex]
So the derivative would be:
[tex]-\frac{\sin l}{3+\cos l}[/tex]
So finally:
[tex]\ln(3+\cos x)-\ln 4 = \frac{-x\sin l}{3+\cos l}[/tex]

good, and what are the minimum and maximum values of [tex]\frac{-\sin l}{3+\cos l}[/tex] for any real [itex]l[/itex]?

The only way I can think of for doing that is:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\geq\frac{1}{3+\cos l}\geq\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

And:
[tex]1\geq-\sin l\geq-1[/tex]

Therefore:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\geq\frac{-\sin l}{3+\cos l}\geq-\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Close, the actual relationship is:

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\geq\frac{-\sin l}{3+\cos l}\geq-\frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

(since -1/4 is actually greater than -1/2 not less than)

Given this, and the fact that you are restricted to positive x-values, what are the restrictions on [tex]\frac{-x\sin l}{3+\cos l}[/tex] ?

And hence what are the maximum and minimum values of [itex]f(x)-f(0)[/itex]?

Last edited:
OK, I think I got it now, but am I supposed to know that [tex]1\leq\ln4\leq\frac{3}{2}[/tex] in order to answer or is there any way around it?

springo said:
OK, I think I got it now, but am I supposed to know that [tex]1\leq\ln4\leq\frac{3}{2}[/tex] in order to answer or is there any way around it?

I think that's all there is to it.

OK, thanks a lot!

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities or expressions using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one quantity is less than, greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to the other quantity.

How do I prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, you need to show that it holds for all possible values of the variables involved. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations, logical reasoning, or mathematical techniques such as induction or contradiction.

What are the common methods used to prove inequalities?

There are several methods that can be used to prove inequalities, such as the substitution method, the comparison method, the direct method, and the mathematical induction method. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of inequalities.

What are the key points to keep in mind when proving an inequality?

When proving an inequality, it is important to understand the properties of inequalities, such as the transitive property, the addition and multiplication properties, and the properties of absolute values. It is also crucial to clearly state the assumptions and show each step of the proof in a logical and organized manner.

What are some tips for solving difficult inequality problems?

Some tips for solving difficult inequality problems include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using known mathematical identities and techniques, trying different approaches or methods, and checking your solution carefully. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of inequalities to improve your problem-solving skills.