What is the proof for GCD(n.m)=1 if 2^m-1 and 2^n-1 have a common divisor of 1?

• Thread starter HussamLawen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the statement "GCD(n.m)=1 <=> GCD((2^n)-1,(2^m)-1)=1" holds true. The proof involves using the fact that the polynomial x^k-1 is divisible by x-1, and applying it to the integers 2^n and 2^m. By the Euclidean algorithm, since n and m are relatively prime, there exists integers a and b such that am+bn=1, which leads to the conclusion that r, the common divisor of 2^m-1 and 2^n-1, equals 1.
HussamLawen
Hi

i need help to prove this theory:
GCD(n.m)=1 <=> GCD((2^n)-1,(2^m)-1)=1

n,m real numbers

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry n,m Integers****

I don't have yet a proof (thus I'm not completely convinced of the fact yet), but I believe this is a start:

The polynomial [itex]x^k-1[/itex] is divisible by [itex]x-1[/itex]; actually, [itex]x^k-1[/itex] factors as [itex](x-1)(x^{k-1}+x^{k-2}+ ... +x^3+x^2+x+1)[/itex]. Applying this with [itex]x = 2^n[/itex] you deduce that [itex]2^n-1[/itex] divides [itex]2^{k n}-1[/itex].

If an integer r divides 2^m-1 and 2^n-1, then [tex]2^m\equiv2^n\equiv1\bmod r[/tex]

By the Euculidean algorithm, since m and n are relatively prime, there exists a and b such that am+bn=1.

Thus [tex]2^{am+bn}\equiv2\equiv(2^{am})(2^{bn})\equiv(1^a)(1^b)\equiv1\bmod r[/tex] Thus r equals 1.

Last edited:

1. How do I prove a theory as a scientist?

As a scientist, proving a theory involves conducting experiments and gathering evidence that supports the hypothesis. This evidence should be objective and replicable to ensure the validity of the theory.

2. What types of evidence are needed to prove a theory?

The types of evidence needed to prove a theory can vary depending on the field of study. Generally, scientists rely on data gathered from experiments, observations, and statistical analyses to support their theories.

3. Can a theory be proven beyond doubt?

No, a theory can never be proven beyond doubt. In science, theories are constantly tested and refined based on new evidence. However, a well-supported theory can be widely accepted and considered the most reasonable explanation for a phenomenon.

4. How long does it take to prove a theory?

The time it takes to prove a theory can vary greatly. Some theories may be proven relatively quickly with clear evidence, while others may take decades or even centuries to gather enough evidence and gain widespread acceptance.

5. Can a theory ever be disproven?

Yes, a theory can be disproven if new evidence contradicts it. This is a crucial aspect of the scientific method, as it allows for the continual refinement and advancement of scientific understanding.