Okay. Back again for the same question - Ebook reader

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
In summary: Just like recording a movie from TV is illegal, but who hasn't done that? If as long as you're not selling it, no one... sort of thing.
WiFO215
I've finally got the chance to get a proper ebook reader. There are so many out there in the market. Which one should I get? The Amazon kindle is not along the lines of what I'm looking for. I don't need my ebook reader to connect to the net and do all sorts of wonderful things. I'm not looking for a pet with artificial intelligence. I just want it to read ebooks. Very simple. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I'm waiting until the technology matures. I've been seeing a lot of prototypes for low-power, flexible, color e-readers with much larger displays that could be hitting stores within the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
anirudh215 said:
Any suggestions?

Yep, get some of these thingies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Latin_dictionary.jpg"

Might seem kinda old fashioned to you, but amazingly they have stood the test of time. They are portable, one can enjoy them anywhere, anytime, don't make noise, their operating system will never crash, and no batteries to worry about.

After you have read one of those things, they can be stored in a bookshelf (physical). If you keep this collecting process up those bookshelves will eventually evolve into a library. Nothing beats grabbing a good book and reading it with a glass of Scotch in a relaxed atmosphere.

Priceless.

Equate said:
Yep, get some of these thingies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Latin_dictionary.jpg"

Might seem kinda old fashioned to you, but amazingly they have stood the test of time. They are portable, one can enjoy them anywhere, anytime, don't make noise, their operating system will never crash, and no batteries to worry about.

After you have read one of those things, they can be stored in a bookshelf (physical). If you keep this collecting process up those bookshelves will eventually evolve into a library. Nothing beats grabbing a good book and reading it with a glass of Scotch in a relaxed atmosphere.

Priceless.

I completely agree; but having text on a PDA / cell phone / eBook reader is so much more convenient. While you really can't read more than one book at a time, there's just something about being able to lug around thousands of books in something the size of a postage stamp (2 GB SD Card = naively 2 million pages of text).

You don't get that same tactile sensation, or the pleasure of turning the page, and gain the annoyance of having your batteries die on you, but it is handy.

Well. I have my ebooks on the computer. In the same room it is in, I also have a television. So when someone is watching TV, I find it very difficult to read with all the noise. It would be very convenient to read these books in my room or when I am traveling by car. Not that it would compare to a real book, but it would be convenient not buying so many books.

I love holding a book. I just want an e-reader for reading journal articles so I don't have to sit in front of the computer or waste tons of printer paper every time I read an article

junglebeast said:
I love holding a book. I just want an e-reader for reading journal articles so I don't have to sit in front of the computer or waste tons of printer paper every time I read an article

Yeah. I just PRINTED G.H.Hardy's book on calculus. ~465 pages!

anirudh215 said:
A publisher appears to own the rights to that book, priniting the enire book is illegal.

anirudh215 said:

I once printed a 500 page manual in the computer lab as well

Evo said:
A publisher appears to own the rights to that book, priniting the enire book is illegal.

Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't know that. I thought it was alright since the link to the full book was posted here. Generally, PF mods delete such links if it is illegal. No such action was taken on this link, so I assumed it was okay to print it.

Evo said:

Just like recording a movie from TV is illegal, but who hasn't done that? If as long as you're not selling it, no one cares

junglebeast said:
Just like recording a movie from TV is illegal, but who hasn't done that? If as long as you're not selling it, no one cares
We have to obey copyright rules on this forum, that's the difference.

anirudh215 said:
Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't know that. I thought it was alright since the link to the full book was posted here. Generally, PF mods delete such links if it is illegal. No such action was taken on this link, so I assumed it was okay to print it.
Where is the link to the book posted? We don't always find everything. I was just giving you a heads up that we can't discuss or condone certain activities here.

junglebeast said:

Why do you say that's illegal?

Evo said:

Format shifting a work you own for personal use is protected. See Recording Indus. Ass’n of Am. v. Diamond Multimedia Sys., Inc., 180 F.3d 1072, 1079 (9th Cir. 1999).

1. What is an Ebook reader?

An Ebook reader, also known as an electronic book reader or e-reader, is a device designed for reading digital books or publications. It typically uses an electronic display screen to display text and images, and may also have features such as bookmarking, note-taking, and dictionary look-up.

2. How is an Ebook reader different from a tablet or smartphone?

An Ebook reader is dedicated solely to reading electronic books, while a tablet or smartphone has multiple functions such as web browsing, email, and gaming. Ebook readers also typically use e-ink technology, which mimics the appearance of ink on paper, making it easier on the eyes for extended reading.

3. Can I read all types of books on an Ebook reader?

Most Ebook readers support common file formats such as EPUB, MOBI, and PDF, which cover the majority of digital books available. However, it's always best to check the specifications of the specific Ebook reader you are interested in to ensure it supports the file types you need.

4. Is an Ebook reader worth the investment?

This depends on your personal reading habits and preferences. If you read a lot of digital books, an Ebook reader can save you money in the long run compared to buying physical books. Additionally, Ebook readers are typically lightweight and have long battery life, making them convenient for traveling and reading on-the-go.

5. Can I borrow library books on an Ebook reader?

Yes, many Ebook readers have the ability to connect to your local library's digital collection and borrow books just like you would with a physical library card. This is a great way to access a wide range of books without having to purchase them individually.