Are You Ready for Calculus II? Tips Before Taking the Course

In summary: I would just recommend reviewing your calculus I material before taking Calc II. Its not that hard to understand and you'll be able to retain it better that way.
Neophyte
I was wondering what you should be familiar with before taking Calculus II. I just finished the Calc I summer class and was wondering if I should go on to Calc II this summer or just go over Calc I some more... I mean I can solve all of the problems that were presented but we hardly had any proofs. Would it be better to wait until fall to start calc II and become comfortable with proofs or just do Calc II and pick things up as I go? How do you know if your ready :blushing:. Will going on to Calc II help retain Calc I?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus II primarily deals with integration and its varieties. So if you’re still feeling uneasy I would just recommend practicing your integration skills over the summer. However, it would be best to take Cal II in the fall rather than the summer because it could be difficult to complete the course in a 1-1.5 month period.

Oh and here is a site the goes over the main details of calculus II.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/CalcII.aspx

Last edited:
Restudy Calculus 1 for the rest of the summer. Start Calculus 2 in the Fall. If your basic Trigonometry is weak, study this too in the summer.

Thank you for your advise, I think it would be better in terms of developing a stronger foundation and retaining it. But in the fall I am signed up for Univ Physics and so the question is: Is it better to have a general understanding of calc 1 and 2 or a more solid foundation in one? The Univ Physics prereq is that you must be concurrently enrolled in calc II. Basically, will I not be able to do the physics class without calc II?

You should be able to do just fine if calculus II is a corequisite because the physics course will take into consideration the level of calculus you've already been at.

I remember when I took my Physics II and Calculus II classes at the same time. Even though Calculus II was a corequisite of Physics II the only calculus we did was some simple integration and that was far into the semester. So you'll definitely be fine in taking those two classes at the same time.

Its also a good idea to have a strong foundation in your Calculus II class because it sets the stage for several other classes that you'll have to take.

Chances are, unless you go to a school like MIT, introductory E&M won't have you doing more than single integration over symmetries. Even though you technically apply vector calculus the symmetries make it simple and to be honest you don't really need to know why the math math works, just that it does to be able to solve most problems.

I agree with everyone up above. Relearn your calculus I for the rest of the summer, and you'll be more than prepared for calculus II. Maybe even try to get a head start in learning some of the integration techniques, as these can be troublesome and require a lot of practice. Most schools use the same book for calculus I and II.

Your university physics course will use calculus I at the most, so you should not be concerned about this. It's probably just a co-requisite to keep people in line in terms of degree scheduling.

Don't worry about not doing any proofs in your calculus I course. You won't be doing any proofs in your calculus II course either. What you should be concerned with is that you understand the concepts of calculus. This is what calculus I is about, in addition of course to learning the basic techniques. Calculus II is basically a full bore techniques course while introducing you to some higher level math (like sequences and series).
anubis01 said:
Oh and here is a site the goes over the main details of calculus II.
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/CalcII.aspx

I actually went to the school that this professor is at.

1. What is Calculus II?

Calculus II is the second course in a sequence of college-level mathematics courses that covers advanced topics in calculus, including integration techniques, series, and applications.

2. Why is it important to be ready for Calculus II?

Calculus II builds upon the concepts and skills learned in Calculus I and is a prerequisite for many other advanced math and science courses. It is important to be prepared for Calculus II to succeed in these courses and to have a strong foundation in mathematics.

3. How can I prepare for Calculus II?

To prepare for Calculus II, it is important to review and solidify your understanding of topics covered in Calculus I, such as derivatives and basic integration. You can also practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the types of problems you will encounter in Calculus II.

4. What are some tips for success in Calculus II?

Some tips for success in Calculus II include attending all lectures and taking thorough notes, actively participating in class and asking questions, practicing regularly, and seeking help from your professor or a tutor if you are struggling with a concept.

5. What are some common mistakes students make in Calculus II?

Some common mistakes students make in Calculus II include not reviewing and understanding the material covered in Calculus I, not practicing enough, and not seeking help when they are struggling. It is also important to avoid rushing through problems and to pay attention to details and units in calculations.