I came across this Proposition in my book, and I know it's something

• Thread starter lttlbbygurl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses pseudoprimes and their properties. It is stated that if n is an odd composite integer and a pseudoprime to the base b, then the order of b in (Z/nZ)* divides (n-1). Additionally, if n is a pseudoprime to bases b_1 and b_2, then it is also a pseudoprime to the base b_1b_2 and b_1b_2^{-1}. The conversation also includes a proof for these statements using congruences.
lttlbbygurl
I came across this Proposition in my book, and I know it's something really simple that I'm missing, but I can't seem to prove it.

Let n be an odd composite integer.
a) n is a pseudoprime to the base b where gcd (b,n)=1 if and only if the order of b in (Z/nZ)* divides (n-1).
b) If n is a pseudoprime to bases [tex]b_1[/tex] and [tex] b_2[/tex] then n is pseudoprime to base [tex]b_1b_2[/tex] and also to the base [tex]b_1b_2^{-1}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

a)
If n is a pseudoprime to the base b, then we have:
[tex]b^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n [/tex]
From this you should be able to derive that the order k of b in Z/nZ divides n-1, because otherwise:
[tex]b^{k} \equiv 1 \pmod n[/tex]
and by the division algorithm we could find an integer r such that 0 < r < k and n-1 = kq + r, but we have:
[tex]b^{n-1}\left(b^k\right)^{-q} \equiv 1 \pmod n[/tex]
which contradicts that the order is the smallest integer with the property.

On the other hand if the order k of b in Z/nZ divides n-1 we can write n-1 = kq and we have:
[tex]b^k \equiv 1 \pmod n[/tex]
from which it follows that:
[tex]b^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n[/tex]

b)
I guess you forgot to state that [itex]\gcd(b_2,n) = 1[/itex] because otherwise [itex]b_2^{-1}[/itex] makes no sense.

This is pretty similar. If n is a pseudoprime to both bases [itex]b_1[/itex] and [itex]b_2[/itex], then,
[tex]b_1^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n[/tex]
[tex]b_2^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n[/tex]
Multiplying these we get the first result, and taking inverses in the second congruence and then multiplying we get the second result.

1. What is a proposition in scientific terms?

A proposition in science is a statement or idea that is put forth for consideration or discussion. It is often used to describe a hypothesis or theory that has yet to be proven.

2. How are propositions used in scientific research?

Propositions are used in scientific research as a starting point for investigations and experiments. They serve as a guide for scientists to develop and test their ideas and theories.

3. Can a proposition change over time?

Yes, a proposition can change over time as new evidence is discovered or as experiments are conducted. It is important for scientists to constantly revise and refine their propositions based on new information.

4. Is a proposition the same as a theory?

No, a proposition is not the same as a theory. A proposition is an initial statement or idea, while a theory is a well-supported explanation for a phenomenon that has been extensively tested and confirmed.

5. Why is it important to have propositions in scientific research?

Propositions are important in scientific research because they provide a foundation for investigation and help guide the direction of research. They also allow for the testing and refinement of ideas and theories, leading to a better understanding of the natural world.