Electron travel in a wire; distance

In summary, the starter motor of a car engine draws a current of 140 A from the battery for 0.95 s. The copper wire to the motor is 5.0 mm in diameter and 1.2 m long. Using the equation for current density, the charge passing through the motor was found to be 133 Coulombs. To find the distance an electron travels during this time, the equation for drift velocity can be used, considering the electron as a point charge moving with a uniform drift velocity. However, the solution will not be provided here.
megr_ftw

Homework Statement

The starter motor of a car engine draws a current of 140 A from the battery. The copper wire to the motor is 5.0 mm in diameter and 1.2 m long. The starter motor runs for 0.95 s until the car engine starts.

How far does an electron travel along the wire while the starter motor is on?

Homework Equations

drift velocity= (j) / (en)
j= current density, e=elementary charge, n=concentration of gases in material(given in book)

j= I/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the charge that passes through the starter motor to be 133 Coulombs. Am I suppose to incorporate the equation for drift velocity in order to find the distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
and I actually just found the current density to be 7130141.45 A/m^2 using the second equation.
now, how am I suppose to go from this to the distance the electron travels after 0.95 seconds??

you can use simple mechanics. consider the electron a point charge moving with a uniform drift velocity and i presume you will get the solution. just don't expect me to get it for you though.

1. How do electrons travel in a wire?

Electrons travel through a wire by flowing from one atom to another. As they move, they create a flow of electricity.

2. What determines the distance an electron can travel in a wire?

The distance an electron can travel in a wire is determined by the conductivity of the wire material and the amount of resistance in the wire. Higher conductivity and lower resistance allow electrons to travel further.

3. Can electrons travel an infinite distance in a wire?

No, electrons cannot travel an infinite distance in a wire. There will always be some resistance in the wire that will eventually slow down or stop the movement of electrons.

4. How does the voltage affect the distance an electron can travel in a wire?

The voltage applied to a wire affects the speed at which electrons travel. Higher voltage means higher energy and faster movement, so the distance an electron can travel in a wire will also be affected.

5. Is electron travel in a wire affected by temperature?

Yes, temperature can affect the distance an electron can travel in a wire. Higher temperatures can increase resistance in the wire, making it more difficult for electrons to travel. This can lead to a decrease in the distance they can travel.