Wormhole Time Machine: As Time Goes On

In summary, after the motion of the wormhole mouths have stopped and a time difference is established between the two mouths, both mouths will continue to move into the future with their individual time differences.
edgepflow
Suppose a wormhole time machine is made by moving one mouth close to speed of light for a suitable time. Further suppose that immediately after the time machine is first completed, we have the following:

Time at Mouth 'A' ---> 2010
Time at Mouth 'B' ---> 2000

Now if 20 years go by, would the times be:

20 Yr Later Time at Mouth 'A' ---> 2010
20 Yr Later Time at Mouth 'B' ---> 2000

OR,

20 Yr Later Time at Mouth 'A' ---> 2010 + 20 = 2030
20 Yr Later Time at Mouth 'B' ---> 2000 + 20 = 2050 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the usual case, the wormhole end travels at a high speed, comes back, and stops. I'm not quite sure what case you're envisioning.

I can give you a quick answer as to what I think you'll see in the case I described. If you look through the wormhole, and pass notes to the person on the other end, you'll see them age at the same rate as you do. At least, as long as there isn't any sort of gravitational potential difference between the two wormhole ends, that is. With no potential difference, there is no gravitational redshifting, so you'll see time pass at the same rate looking through the wormhole.

(Note: I've tried to make things simple here as far as explaining why there isn't any difference in aging when looking through the wormhole, rather than to be precise.)

You could even visit back and forth, through the wormhole, and they'd be the same age.

But when they take a round trip at relativistic speeds and come back, when you visit them, you being the "stay at home" twin, they'll be much younger than you.

Note that if they don't come back home and stop, you'll have the usual ambiguities of how to synchronize your clocks that you always get in relativity.

Thank you for the reply pervect.

Let me try to rephrase my question. After all motion of the wormhole mouths have stopped, and a time difference is established between the two mouths, do both mouths now move into the future with their time difference or do they stay in their original time?

edgepflow said:
Thank you for the reply pervect.

Let me try to rephrase my question. After all motion of the wormhole mouths have stopped, and a time difference is established between the two mouths, do both mouths now move into the future with their time difference or do they stay in their original time?
Time does continue to go forward as normally. If there is a five-year difference, so that entering mouth A in 2010 causes you to exit mouth B in 2005, that means that if you enter mouth A in 2020, you'll exit mouth B in 2015, not 2005.

1. What is a wormhole time machine?

A wormhole time machine is a theoretical concept that suggests the existence of a tunnel or shortcut through space-time, allowing for travel between different points in time and space.

2. How does a wormhole time machine work?

Theoretical physics suggests that a wormhole time machine would require the existence of negative energy and exotic matter to create a bridge between two points in space-time. This allows for the possibility of traveling through the wormhole and arriving at a different point in time and space.

3. Is it possible to build a wormhole time machine?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that wormholes exist or that the necessary exotic matter and negative energy can be manipulated to create a stable wormhole. However, theoretical physics allows for the possibility, and research in this area is ongoing.

4. What are the potential consequences of using a wormhole time machine?

Using a wormhole time machine could have unpredictable and potentially dangerous consequences. It could alter the fabric of space-time, create paradoxes, and disrupt the natural flow of events. The potential risks and consequences make the concept of a wormhole time machine highly controversial.

5. Can a wormhole time machine be used for time travel?

The concept of a wormhole time machine does suggest the possibility of time travel, but it is purely theoretical at this point. There is no conclusive evidence to support the idea of traveling through a wormhole and arriving at a different point in time. More research and advancements in theoretical physics are needed to determine the feasibility and implications of time travel through a wormhole.