Probability (no idea of the kind, and how to do it)

In summary, the conversation discusses a betting game between Peter and Paul where each bet one dollar on each game and allow unlimited credit to each other. The task is to use a calculator to create a table showing the probabilities that Peter is ahead by $10, $100, and $1000, for various values of p. The conversation also raises questions about the definition of p and whose probability it refers to.
elmarsur

Homework Statement

Peter and Paul bet one dollar each on each game. Each is willing
to allow the other unlimited credit. Use a calculator to make a
table showing, to four decimal places, for each of p = 1/10, 1/3,
.49, .499, .501, .51, 2/3, 9/10 the probabilities that Peter is ever
ahead by $10, by $100, and by $1000.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to apply here. Thank you very much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What random variable would it be appropriate to define?

Thank you for reply, rochfor.
I don't know what p is referring to. If p is the probability of winning a game, I don't know whose player the p is.

I imagine p is the probability of winning a game. I imagine wherever you got the problem from is a bit more explicit about which player's probability it is.

1. What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as P(event) = favorable outcomes / total outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes equal likelihood of all possible outcomes. Experimental probability is based on actual outcomes from an experiment or trial, and can vary depending on the number of trials conducted.

4. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many fields, including science, economics, and statistics. It can help predict outcomes and make informed decisions. For example, in medicine, probability can be used to assess the effectiveness of a treatment. In finance, probability can be used to make investment decisions.

5. Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. A probability of 0 means the event is impossible and a probability of 1 means the event is certain. Any number outside of this range does not make sense in the context of probability.