How much do spoilers increase drag coefficient?

In summary, the drag coefficient for spoilers is approximately 0.02689. However, this value may vary depending on the aircraft. To get a rough estimate, spoilers can be considered as flat plates. It is recommended to consult outside sources such as books, AIAA journal papers, and NASA technical server to get a more accurate value. It is also important to clarify what exactly is being modeled, in this case, the braking system, in order to determine the appropriate amount of drag provided by the spoilers. One suggested source is Raymers book.
lukus09
Approximetly how much is the drag coefficient if orginally the coefficient is 0.02689. I know it depends on aircraft etc but I am only looking a rough estimate.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a first order guess, spoilers are a flat plate. But, what outside sources have you consulted?

Cyrus said:
As a first order guess, spoilers are a flat plate. But, what outside sources have you consulted?

what do you mean by outside sources?

Books, AIAA journal papers, NASA technical server, etc. What exactly are you trying to model here?

i am modelling the braking system. so i need to know how much drag the spoilers provide to enhance my model

Have you tried Raymers book?

1. How do spoilers affect the drag coefficient of a vehicle?

Spoilers increase the drag coefficient of a vehicle by disrupting the smooth flow of air over its surface. This results in a higher pressure build-up behind the spoiler, which causes an increase in drag.

2. What is the average increase in drag coefficient caused by spoilers?

The average increase in drag coefficient caused by spoilers varies depending on the design and placement of the spoiler, but it can range from 0.01 to 0.04. This may seem small, but even a small increase in drag can have a significant impact on a vehicle's performance and fuel efficiency.

3. Do spoilers always increase drag coefficient?

No, spoilers do not always increase drag coefficient. In some cases, spoilers can actually decrease drag by redirecting airflow in a more efficient manner. This is often seen in high-performance vehicles that have been specifically designed with spoilers to improve aerodynamics.

4. What factors affect the extent to which spoilers increase drag coefficient?

The design and placement of a spoiler can greatly affect the extent to which it increases drag coefficient. Additionally, the shape and size of the vehicle, as well as the speed at which it is traveling, can also impact the amount of drag caused by a spoiler.

5. Can spoilers be adjusted to minimize their impact on drag coefficient?

Yes, spoilers can be adjusted to minimize their impact on drag coefficient. By adjusting the angle and height of the spoiler, it is possible to find a balance between reducing drag and still providing the desired aerodynamic benefits. However, it is important to note that spoilers will always have some effect on the drag coefficient of a vehicle.