Hurricanes Bonnie and Charlie: A Tale of Two Storms

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary: Huh, I can't remember. Anyway, it's still a hurricane, regardless of what name is given to it.In summary, Bonnie and Clyde are two hurricanes that are currently spinning around in the Atlantic Ocean. They are expected to make their way towards the East Coast of the United States in the near future. Although the storms are not expected to be as severe as predicted, people in the path should remain alert.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hurricanes Bonnie & Charlie?

Didn't they miss a bet here? Why Charlie, and not Clyde?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because they are nice and law-abiding hurricanes

You don't want to be inviting a statewide shoot-out, all over Folrida, do you ? :tongue2:

The National Hurricane Center doesn't have a sense of humor. :frown:

Last edited:
My parents are glued to the Weather channel. We live near Orlando, right in Charlie's path. I'll let you know if we live through it. :wink:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/state/9396272.htm?1c

You know it's serious news when they skip all the fluff, quotes, interpretations, exaggerations, and can fill an entire page with just facts and information.

I have to take a look at the weather maps. We're getting some weird, crappy (cold and gray) weather here in Ohio, and I want to see if it's part of the larger hurricane system spinning weird weather out here, or if this is a cold front moving West to East (like weather patterns normally move). If it's an entirely separate storm front, I wouldn't want to be on the East coast when those two hurricanes move northward and this weather we have here moves eastward all due about the same day.

Thankfully all I have to contend without here is blue sky and an occasional tremble... I hope you folks out on the east coast make it through these storms unharmed! :frown:

- Warren

Moonbear said:
I have to take a look at the weather maps. We're getting some weird, crappy (cold and gray) weather here in Ohio, and I want to see if it's part of the larger hurricane system spinning weird weather out here, or if this is a cold front moving West to East (like weather patterns normally move).

Nah, it's just a low pressure trough sucking some cold air down from Canada - it's the remnant of a cold front that passed by a few days ago, heading south-east across the valley.

Pretty quiet on my end even though the storm came dangerously close. Initial forecasts were expected to hit my area in full force, but the storm ended up turning north-northeast and made landfall in Punto Gorda. Category 4 with 145 mph winds. My house is on the outer fringe of one of Charlie's rain belts on the north-west corner and most of the damage is located an hour-to-hour-and-a-half drive away.

Right now I am just waiting for the mandatory evacs to lift up in the area, they still remain in effect (probably later tonight). On TV there was nothing but hurricane info, not sure what happened elsewhere in the world.

Last edited:
motai said:
Right now I am just waiting for the mandatory evacs to lift up in the area, they still remain in effect (probably later tonight). On TV there was nothing but hurricane info, not sure what happened elsewhere in the world.

Very True ! I couldn't find a darned thing about the Olympics on the news ! :eek:

Each year, chronologically, they appear in alphabetical order. Until 1979, they were all women, but since then they are alternately men and women. They repeat every 6 years.

Who ?

Gokul43201 said:
Very True ! I couldn't find a darned thing about the Olympics on the news ! :eek:

Well, gosh, they only just had the opening ceremony televised tonight. I just get annoyed that NBC has exclusive rights to televising the Olympics in the US. I miss the good old days of all the networks covering it so you could get different events on different channels or different perspectives of the same event. Now I just get to see the "popular" competitions, which aren't the ones I like, or the ones I like are televised at times of the day when I'm not home to watch.

Glad to hear the folks here weathered the storm fairly unscathed.

Gokul43201 said:
Each year, chronologically, they appear in alphabetical order. Until 1979, they were all women, but since then they are alternately men and women. They repeat every 6 years.

Who ?
If you are not familiar with Bonny&Clyde you must live at the bottom of a quantum well! google is your friend!

Good luck to all in the path of these storms!

I'm confused now, Integral. How did I give the impression that I'm unaware of Bonnie and Clyde (see post #3) ? In fact, I'm reasonably familiar with B&C having watched the movie once or twice - the 60s version with Warren Beatty.

"They're young...they're in love...and they kill people" - used to be a time when I was getting into movie trivia, but that's far behind me now.

Clearly, my question - which you quoted - was about the nomenclature of Tropical Storms by the National Hurricane Center. This list of names was later adopted by the World Meteorological Organization. It was just a bit of harmless trivia, or so I'd imagined !

PS : It's Bonnie, not Bonny !

Last edited:
It was the "who?" that led me down that path,... sorry!

1. What is the difference between a hurricane and a tropical storm?

A hurricane is a powerful, rotating storm with sustained wind speeds of at least 74 miles per hour. A tropical storm has sustained wind speeds between 39 and 73 miles per hour. Both are considered dangerous and can cause significant damage.

2. How did Hurricane Bonnie & Charlie get their names?

The World Meteorological Organization has a predetermined list of names for hurricanes and tropical storms. Each year, the list alternates between male and female names and is used in alphabetical order. Bonnie was the second name on the list in 2004 and Charlie was the third name on the list in 1998.

3. What areas were impacted by Hurricane Bonnie & Charlie?

Hurricane Bonnie made landfall in North Carolina and caused significant damage along the East Coast of the United States in 1998. Hurricane Charlie made landfall in Florida and went on to impact several other states in the Southeastern United States in 2004.

4. How was the strength of Hurricane Bonnie & Charlie measured?

The strength of hurricanes is measured using the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale, which rates hurricanes on a scale from 1 to 5 based on their sustained wind speeds. Hurricane Bonnie was a Category 2 storm and Hurricane Charlie was a Category 4 storm.

5. What were the impacts of Hurricane Bonnie & Charlie on the environment?

Hurricanes can cause significant damage to the environment, including destruction of habitats, erosion of coastlines, and contamination of water sources. In the case of Hurricane Bonnie & Charlie, there were also reports of oil spills and damage to marine life, highlighting the need for preparation and mitigation efforts to protect the environment from the impacts of these storms.