Energy released in an explosion

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in connecting the energy released from a bomb explosion to the rate at which the radius of the blast wave expands. The participants seek help in understanding the formula for describing a shock wave from an explosion, specifically using TNT as an example. They are directed to search for information on the Internet, with one helpful link provided. Due to the sensitive nature of the topic, the conversation is ultimately closed.
lineup
Hi All, I'm working on a problem about describing the energy released when a bomb explodes, assuming it releases energy, E, I'm trying to describe the rate at which the radius of the bomb blast wave is expanding. I'm having some difficulty conceiving where to start in connecting the energy released to the radius of the explosion. Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am actually having the same problem.. Could someone please be kind enough to explain a formula which describes a shock wave coming from an explosion of, let's say, TNT?

This information is readily available on the Internet. I Googled TNT Shock Wave, and got lots of hits. Many were YouTube videos unfortunately, but some were more techincal in nature. This is one that may help you:

http://www.makeitlouder.com/document_bombshockwaveestimation.html

Since discussions of dangerous activities are not allowed on the PF, I'm going to close this thread. You can find more hits by doing the Google search yourself.

1. How is energy released in an explosion?

Energy is released in an explosion through a rapid and violent chemical reaction known as combustion. This reaction breaks the bonds between molecules and releases stored energy in the form of heat and light.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy released in an explosion?

The amount of energy released in an explosion depends on the type and amount of explosive material, as well as the containment and confinement of the explosion. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and location can also affect the energy released.

3. Can the energy released in an explosion be measured?

Yes, the energy released in an explosion can be measured using various methods such as calorimetry, which measures the amount of heat released, or seismology, which measures the seismic waves produced by the explosion.

4. How does the energy released in an explosion cause damage?

The energy released in an explosion causes damage by creating a shockwave that travels through the surrounding material, displacing and destroying it. The heat and fire produced by the explosion can also cause damage to surrounding structures and objects.

5. Can the energy released in an explosion be harnessed for practical purposes?

Yes, the energy released in an explosion can be harnessed for various practical purposes such as mining, demolition, and propulsion. Explosive materials can also be used to generate electricity in power plants.