Finding the equation of a paraboloid

• Thread starter Quisquis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paraboloid
In summary, the points that satisfy the equation x+y+z=3 are located at (1,1,1), (0,0,0), and (0,0,1). The normal vector to the plane is <1,1,1>.
Quisquis

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the form Ax2+By2+Cz2+Dxy+Exz+Fyz+Gx+Hy+Jz+K=0 Satisfied by the set of all points in space, (x,y,z), whose distance to the origin is equal to their distance to the plane x+y+z=3. Based on what you know about parabolas, what does this collection of points look like?

Homework Equations

x+y+z=3

Equation of a paraboloid: z/c=x2/a2+y2/b2

a(x-x0)+b(y-y0)+c(z-z0)=0 The coefficients (a,b,c) is the normal vector to the plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding a point that lies on the plane. The point (1,1,1) satisfies the given equation: x+y+z=3.

Given that point, I can work back to the normal vector:

(x-1)+(y-1)+(z-1)=0

The normal vector is the coefficients of this eqn, so the normal vector is <1,1,1>.

The focus is given as (0,0,0), so the vertex of the paraboloid should be [tex]\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

The distance from the origin (and thus the plane) to the vertex of the paraboloid is 1/2[tex]\left\|N\right\|[/tex]=[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

That's as far as I've gotten... I really have no idea how to go from here. I think I've got all the info to put it together, I just don't know how.

BTW, sorry about any formatting snafus, Google Chrome doesn't play well with latex at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quisquis said:

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the form Ax2+By2+Cz2+Dxy+Exz+Fyz+Gx+Hy+Jz+K=0 Satisfied by the set of all points in space, (x,y,z), whose distance to the origin is equal to their distance to the plane x+y+z=3. Based on what you know about parabolas, what does this collection of points look like?

Homework Equations

x+y+z=3

Equation of a paraboloid: z/c=x2/a2+y2/b2

a(x-x0)+b(y-y0)+c(z-z0)=0 The coefficients (a,b,c) is the normal vector to the plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding a point that lies on the plane. The point (1,1,1) satisfies the given equation: x+y+z=3.

Given that point, I can work back to the normal vector:

(x-1)+(y-1)+(z-1)=0

The normal vector is the coefficients of this eqn, so the normal vector is <1,1,1>.

The focus is given as (0,0,0), so the vertex of the paraboloid should be [tex]\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

The distance from the origin (and thus the plane) to the vertex of the paraboloid is 1/2[tex]\left\|N\right\|[/tex]=[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

That's as far as I've gotten... I really have no idea how to go from here. I think I've got all the info to put it together, I just don't know how.

BTW, sorry about any formatting snafus, Google Chrome doesn't play well with latex at all.

Why not just use the point to plane distance formula and set that equal to the distance to the origin?

Heh... problem #1 on the homework involved just that. It didn't occur to me at all to use here though. Thanks!

1. What is a paraboloid?

A paraboloid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that is generated by rotating a parabola around its axis.

2. How do you find the equation of a paraboloid?

The equation of a paraboloid depends on its orientation and the direction of its axis. In general, the equation can be written as (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = z where (h,k) is the center of the parabola, a is the radius in the x-direction, and b is the radius in the y-direction.

3. What are the key features of a paraboloid?

The key features of a paraboloid include its vertex, which is the point at which the parabola intersects its axis, and its focus, which is the point at which all the rays reflected off the paraboloid converge. The shape also has a directrix, which is a line perpendicular to the axis that the parabola reflects off of.

4. How is a paraboloid used in real-world applications?

Paraboloids are commonly used in antennas, satellite dishes, and telescopes due to their ability to reflect and focus incoming waves. They are also used in architecture and design, as their shape is both aesthetically pleasing and efficient in distributing weight.

5. What is the relationship between a paraboloid and a parabola?

A paraboloid is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a parabola around its axis. This means that the cross-sections of a paraboloid in any given direction will be parabolic in shape. However, a paraboloid is not a parabola, as it extends in a third dimension and has different properties.