Solving a Canal Turn Problem: Finding the Longest Barge

• Thread starter allergic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the longest narrow barge that can make a turn in a canal with a right angle. The hint given involves using a line segment and the lengths of the canal's walls to determine the maximum length of the barge. The person solving the problem sets up an equation and makes a mistake, but is eventually able to figure out the correct solution with the help of others. The final result involves using trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem to find the correct length of the barge.
allergic
alright, so i have this problem, and i must have gone wrong somewhere, because i am now lost.
the problem is this:
you have a canal that makes a right angle turn. the width of the canal for the incoming leg is a, and the width for the outgoing is b. what is the longest narrow barge that can be moved around the turn?

we were given this hint:
let x be the angle formed by a line segment touching the inside corner and terminating at the outside walls of the canal; here the angle is formed by the line segment and the outside wall of the leg of width b. the length of the line segment is
L(x)=a sec x + b csc x
as x approaches zero or pi/2, the length of this line segment approaches positive infinity. the maximum length of a barge that can make the turn is the minimum value of L(x).

so this is what i did:
i said L'(x) = a sec x tan x - b csc x cot x and set that = 0
I ended up getting b/a = tan ^3 (x) and then, x = tan ^-1 [(b/a)^(1/3)]
that could be where i screwed up, but who knows. i then wanted to plug that all back into the L(x) equation. but there i am stuck, because if i make (b/a)^(1/3) = p, i end up with L = a sec (cot p) + b csc (cot p) and i have NO idea where to go from there.
anyone got any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget that

[tex]a^2 + b^2 = L^2[/tex]

Tide said:
Don't forget that

[tex]a^2 + b^2 = L^2[/tex]

Why would that be true? a and b are not legs of a right triangle in this problem.

allergic (to what? trig?), your result that tan3x= b/a looks good to me. That is, of course, the same as saying tan x= b1/3/a1/3.

Now, imagine a right triangle set up with legs of length b1/3 (opposite angle x) and a1/3 (next to angle x). The hypotenuse is given by [itex]\sqrt{b^{2/3}+a^{2/3}}[/itex]. You can calculate sec x and csc x from that.

ah-ha! that would be it. i always forget that kinda stuff.
thanks

Halls,

Sorry about that - I was looking at the condition for the ship to just fit the corner then misread my own sketch!

1. How do you determine the longest barge that can navigate a canal turn?

To determine the longest barge that can navigate a canal turn, we use mathematical equations and computer simulations to analyze the dimensions and maneuverability of different barges. We also take into account factors such as the depth and width of the canal, as well as any potential obstacles.

2. What are some challenges in solving a canal turn problem?

One of the main challenges in solving a canal turn problem is balancing the length of the barge with its ability to make sharp turns. A longer barge may be able to carry more cargo, but it may also have difficulty navigating tight turns in a canal. Additionally, weather and water conditions can also affect the maneuverability of a barge.

3. How do you account for different types of barges in your analysis?

We take into account the dimensions, weight, and shape of different types of barges in our analysis. This includes considering the length, width, and height of the barge, as well as its cargo capacity and any additional features such as rudders or thrusters that may aid in maneuvering.

4. What are the potential consequences of a barge not being able to navigate a canal turn?

If a barge is unable to navigate a canal turn, it may cause delays in transportation and delivery of goods. It could also result in damage to the barge, the cargo, and the canal itself. In extreme cases, it could lead to accidents and injuries.

5. How do you validate the accuracy of your solution for a canal turn problem?

We validate the accuracy of our solution by conducting real-world tests and comparing the results to our mathematical and computer simulations. We also take into account feedback and data from experienced barge operators and make adjustments to our solution as needed.