Unsolvable Linear Algebra System: Need Help with Least Squares Method

• Thread starter WCMU101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation focuses on a problem with solving a system using linear algebra. The system involves three matrices - I, N, and G - where G is composed of 1s and -1s. The speaker has tried using least squares to solve the system, but has encountered a problem with taking the inverse of (G_BigTG_Big)-1. The conversation then turns to discussing the physical situation being modeled and the limitations of finding a mathematical solution for it.
WCMU101
Hey all. I'm not too sharp on linear algebra. I've done a first year university course on it, but that was a couple years ago & didn't go into much detail. Here is the problem:

Matrix I (n,1).
Matrix N (m,1).
Matrix G (n,m).

Now... I is a column vector of computed "double differences". These double differences are composed of original elements N. Matrix G relates the original elements to the double differences, such that:

G*N = I

G is composed of 1s and -1s, here is an example: (See attachment). So using that G:

n = 3, m = 8

So I already know the system can not be solved, since there are 8 unknowns (N) and only 3 equations. Hence I decided I needed more observations & I'll use least squares to get a solution. So for example:

[G G G]T*N = [I1 I2 I3]T

Where G is the same as it was above. And I1,2,3 correspond to the observations at time 1, 2 and 3 respectively. N is still 8x1.

So by least squares:

Let [G G G]T = G_Big

G_BigTG_Big*N = G_BigT[I1 I2 I3]T
N = (G_BigTG_Big)-1G_BigT[I1 I2 I3]T

Problem is (G_BigTG_Big)-1 is singular, I can't take the inverse. It happens for all sizes of G.

I don't know how else to solve this system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks. Nick.

Attachments

• matrix.jpg
    matrix.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
From a mathematical standpoint, singular systems have either no solution or an infinite number of solutions. In the latter case, there is something called a mininum norm solution, but that probably won't be very helpful in a physical experimentation based scenario (i.e. a mathematical solution won't likely represent the physical phenomenon).

Can you tell us more about the physical situation that's being modeled? If you are taking data points and have 8 variables, you need to be able to have data points with all 8 unknowns being varied. Looks like you are collecting data w/o some of the variables changing.

1. Why can't I solve this system of equations?

There could be several reasons why you are having difficulty solving a system of equations. One possibility is that the equations are not linear, meaning they contain variables with exponents or terms with different variables multiplied together. Another possibility is that the equations are inconsistent, meaning there is no solution that satisfies all of the equations at the same time. Lastly, it is possible that you are making a mistake while solving the equations, such as a calculation error or forgetting a step.

2. How do I know if a system of equations has no solution?

If a system of equations is inconsistent, meaning there is no solution that satisfies all of the equations at the same time, then it has no solution. To determine if a system is inconsistent, you can use a method such as elimination or substitution to solve the equations and see if you arrive at a contradiction, such as 0=3, which would indicate that there is no solution.

3. Is there a specific method for solving a system of equations?

Yes, there are several methods for solving a system of equations, such as elimination, substitution, and graphing. The method you choose may depend on the type of equations you are working with and personal preference. It is important to remember to follow the same steps consistently and check your work to ensure accuracy.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a system of equations?

Yes, many calculators have functions specifically designed to solve systems of equations. However, it is important to understand the steps and methods used to solve a system of equations so that you can check the accuracy of the calculator's solution and understand the process.

5. Are there any tips for solving a difficult system of equations?

One tip for solving a difficult system of equations is to first simplify the equations as much as possible by combining like terms or using properties of equality. It can also be helpful to approach the system with a specific method in mind, such as elimination or substitution, and to practice solving similar equations to build familiarity and confidence. Additionally, checking your work and reviewing any mistakes can help you identify areas for improvement and ultimately solve the system successfully.